1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

j bass with OD

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hartke20g, Jun 2, 2007.

1. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    a while back, there was a thread about putting 2 opposing parallel diodes in place of a tone cap to get battery-free overdrive/distortion in a bass. i did this to my OLP mm2 already and decided i wanted to put this in my J bass too. but my J bass control plate didn't have the space to put another pot (the only reason the mm2 did was because i rewired it for only 1 volume knob), so i bought a concentric pot. but i'm not sure how to wire it, and experimenting with electronics always ends up bad for me. so, can anyone post a diagram of how to wire it Volume, Volume, Tone/OD (tone and OD on concentric pot)? unless this is correct. jbasswithOD.gif

btw, this mod also makes a good limiter with the knob rolled down a bit.

2. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    bump

anyone?

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

diagrams give me a headache and I doubt I'm getting it cause you look to have posted the diagram you're looking for. What I can contribute is that a dual concentric pot is nothing more than two seperate pots so you'd wire the connections the same as your MM that worked. The only difference is the tone and od pot would be stacked rather than side by side. So basically just run your MM diagram off the second volume pot as it's altready wired into the bass.

4. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    what's the general consensus on just keeping the stacked pot the same as the old tone pot, and have the OD pot go to the same lugs and wires as the tone pot? i'm guessing i wouldn't get any impedance problems, but would it work?

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

don't know but since the thread went to the second page with no response so a general concensus may be a hard find.

Another way of expressing the previous is: does not the existing MM tone/od wiring that works look just like your posted diagram for your proposed J setup except the tone/od pots are stacked in the diagram instead of separate?

If not then wire it that way and it should work the same.

6. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    i guess experimentation's the only way, then. the reason i'm so confused is because in the MM, i just removed the tone cap and put in the diodes (it now only has 1 volume and 1 tone control with an unused pot). oh well.

7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Should work fine- basically like having 2 tone pots...

I will add that your diagram looks way more complicated than need be... the volume pots in your diagram are wired incorrectly for a Jazz though- the rightmost lug on each volume should be the output lug. You can just run one wire from one volume output lug to the other and then straight from that lug to the center tone lug, then center OD lug, then to the hot ouptut on your jack. No need to have 2 seperate wires going to the same places like in your diagram!

Karl

Karl

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021