j bass with p bass neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tyburn, Mar 24, 2001.

1. i want to build a new bass, keep myself busy over the coming summer, i'll take my time,, spread the cost out..

i want to make it out of bought parts,, so i'll buy an alder or ash j bass body and i want a maple neck,, then i'll add schaller tuners a gotoh bridge or another baddass,like on my j bass,

i love j bass bodies, but what i'm considering doin is buying a j bass body and matching it with a p bass neck,, i want something different to my modded j,, i want a j bass body b'cos it suits me,, but i fancy a different neck profile??

i'm going to add either active j bass pup's or passive with more toanl shaping control,,

tell me what u think,,should i go for it or if it'll be better to stay with the j bass neck,,
  2. p bass & j bass necks are interchangeable...the heel is 2 1\2 in. wide on both models, sounds like a sweet set-up....good luck
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Hey it sounds like a cool little project!!!

I always have liked alittle larger neck profile, I really like the neck on my Stingray better than my Tobias. I never played a offset neck before, I've heard those can be really comfortable. Maybe thats an option for you.

So what color or finish are you thinking?? And are you going to do that yourself??
  4. yeah it should be good when i get the time and csh to start it,, i'll probably get thr local tech to do it, he does all my work,, i'm not sure about the colour though,, it's either gonna be a natural colour ( stain) or a translucent burst, something that goes well with the maple neck,,
  5. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    It all depends on if you will be comfortable with the slightly larger size of the P neck. Soundds like a fun project.
  6. The oft discussed CAD/CAM bass I completed last year is this type of configuration. Part of the reason I put it together that way was to gain some more diversification within the Hambone family of instruments. It DOES have a feel all it's own. I have 2 other Jazzes and with the fretless P neck, it doesn't play like either. The neck I put on it is a Warmoth but you should consider the way they make their P necks before buying one. Warmoth uses a profile - that's the front to back thickness - of the original 1962 Fender Jazz basses as it's model for their necks. This makes the wider fretboard a bit easier to play for most players. I much prefer it to the original P profile. You can order one with the thicker profile from Warmoth but I don't know if they would want to charge you extra.

Hope this helps
  7. i'm not really bothered about the thickness of either the fret board or the radius/ profile of the neck, i have massive hands, and so can usually play and feel comfortable with most necks

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Here's one of my fretless basses with an ash J body and a P width neck, with active SD Basslines pickups.

9. what does it play and sound like, compared to a j with the j neck?
  10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    My Fender Jazz has a maple fretboard (vs rosewood on the fretless) and an alder body (vs ash) with passive pickups (vs active). I have only ever used nylon tape wound strings on the fretless (vs nickel or ss on the fretted). It's kinda hard to compare the sound. Not exactly apples to apples. As far as playability... I don't have any problem going from J to P necks, or any other neck for that matter (I haven't tried one of those seven stringers yet though). They both are set up with pretty low action and play great.

11. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Yeah Im gonna get a custom shop fender jazz bass, jazz body, p-bass pickups, p-bass neck. Mark Hoppus from blink 182 uses thhat kind. ANd he gets them free. Lucky.
  12. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have a MIM Jazz, with a MIM p-bass neck... I also put Dimarzio model j's and a Badass on it... when I first changed the pups and the bridge, my jazz neck was still on it, then i changed the neck... I thought that the sound got a little beefier, but not much different. I love the feel of it, and have been scouring ebay for parts to build another!
  13. You can buy most guitar building parts you need from Stewart-Macdonald. They have J style bodies that are a third the price of an actual fender body. I recomend that you use a real fender neck though if you already know the feel you are looking for