1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J choice for good match in a p5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Boof, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Boof

Boof

Oct 3, 2008
    Nashville
    Figured I'd get some considered opinions here...

I pulled the trigger today on a Fender American Standard Precision V. Rosewood, nice, light alder body (8 lbs even!). I've never been comfortable on P bass necks, but I could use a P for sessions and some of the live work I do, and I haven't had a 5-string for a while (long story). Could use that too, so I got this P5. It's an '07 with '08 upgrades (one of the first with the '08 specs), NOS, so brand spankin' new. I'm lovin' it. 5-string neck is, well, a 5-string neck, so no P spacing or 4-string width to deal with, and it sounds KILLER. I've had Sadowskys, EBMMs... lots of good basses, but this may take the cake. Graphite rods, man... mile-deep fundamental on every note. Not to mention I got an embarrassingly good deal on it - significantly less for new than I see them for used on TB. Anyhow...

I figured going in that I might add a jazz pickup in the bridge position. I love the mix and versatility of a PJ. Thought I'd put a stack knob in the volume position (like from a '62 RI), so I wouldn't have to screw up the pickguard. I like the sound of the stock P pickup a lot, and want to get a J that compliments it well in terms of tone and volume. Also, I don't think a J will hum cancel in partnership with a P (like a pair of Js does... correct me if I'm wrong). I know there's a Bart' with two coils end-to-end, but I'm not sure how that would blend/balance with the P. Any thoughts? Maybe a Duncan stack?

I appreciate any input.

2. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

Wait! Don't butcher that P5 just yet. Check out the new P-Retro from John East first. It'll give you what you're looking for without losing that root P sound with no hum. You'll also get a pair of those stacked knobs too. I dropped a P-Retro into my P5 and couldn't be happier.

Rezdog

3. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Pics?

4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings,

Nope, I'm photo challenged right now lol. But I'll get one of the kids to help me out soon.

Rezdog

5. Boof, as it s a fiver, I opt for the pickup which seems to carry the sub 100Hz stuff the best, AERO. ( our studio guy is the one that mentioned it seems more "tight and defined in the mud" ) For an answer to your technical question, I'd recommend you call the engineer himself, imho he is near genius and will solve your magnetic anomoly, if there is a solution. Email Larry at: pickupz "at" aeroinstrument.com Wont put his fon # in print.

I see you're a pro, so I don't have to say the usual call only if you're serious deal.

Either way - good luck with the new axe!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021