1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J.D. FROM "BLACK LABEL SOCIETY"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by edubb, Sep 26, 2008.

1. edubb

edubb

Dec 6, 2006

I went to Sam Ash yesterday to pick up my Lakland DJ5. when I walked in I heard someone tearing up a Wayne Shorter tune on frettless bass, with key boards riding shotgun. It was this little, long haired guy, I had no idea who he was.
    It turned out to be J.D. from "Black Label Society", a band I had never heard of. He was doing a performance there.
    However, he was the coolest guy you could ever want to meet. Plus, the man plays with tons of feeling, more than a lot of jazz guys I have seen live. Another thing about his playing that I absolutely loved was that this cat went into the bassment whenever possible and made it sound so melodic. I am personally tired of hearing guys with 6 strings that hardly touch the E string, never mind the B.
    His basses were tuned down and the powerful lowend is what bass is all about to me. Anchoring the bottom, not the middle or top.
    He talked to everyone throughout, laughing and joking. The people really loved him. I have to say that the guys from Hartke, which sponsored him, where also very cool. I have always thought their products were great value but they are extremely cool, down to earth dudes also.
    So now I plan to pick up some Black Label Society cd's and my future gear purchases will be Hartke. J.D.'s set up sounded great with power and clarity for a lot less money than you would expect. I am also gonna start checking out some of these metal bass players!.

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    wow, that's surprising to hear!

i'll have to give him a listen myself...i have purposely avoided bls since seeing crowbar about 8 years ago open for them...i left in the middle of the second song from bls, i first thought they were joking with the feedback during soundcheck, but they apparently weren't, and it was the worst noise i've ever heard in my entire life...i don't know if jd was with them at the time, i couldn't hear anything but guitar feedback and clicky, clangy kick drum and cymbals:)

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    But but but but......he plays metal, you know metal players can only play root note's and rock, he musta been faking it.

Seriously, that rocks, I saw him with BLS las year, opening for Ozzy, he had a monster sound! Incredible tone really.

4. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    I read somewhere he's been music school, reads music and all that.
    But i've never heard him and i don't like BLS.

5. I was initially pleasantly surprised by that, but then thinking about it, would Zakk Wylde really trust someone who didn't know his chops to follow on from Rob Trujillo and Dave Lomenzo? Fair play to JD, he sounds like a good bloke.

Ah BLS, what ever happened to ya?:crying:

6. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Well, JD was in the band before Trujillo or Dave Lomenzo, they were chozen to be up th his standard, not the other way around.;)

JD was the original bassist.:)

7. Didn't know that! I stand corrected.:)

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    He played with Zakk in Pride & Glory, before Zakk even started BLS, if I remember correctly.:)

9. Stifflip

Stifflip

Jan 20, 2006
    Hrhm... James Lomenzo.

10. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Hahaha! Gotta look closer at what I'm typing in future, thats the second time thats happend today... :D

11. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    He graduated from Berklee College of Music in 1989. I'm not a huge BLS fan, though some of their stuff is ok, but JD is an amazing bassist with real training and a lot of touring under his belt.

12. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I went to school with him; he's a great musicians and an all around good egg. I saw him play with my buddy Richie Kotzen a couple of years ago in LA and he sounded just great using the house amp. He comes from good New Jersey stock,it's to be expected.

13. edubb

edubb

Dec 6, 2006
    while talking to the audience. He really encouraged them to be open to all kinds of music. Then he played Jazz, funk, and soul as well as some B.L.S. to show them what he was talking about. He used all different kinds of tunings, which he did seemingly by ear. I would say all of his basses were tuned down and it really opened my eyes to how much bottom you can get out of a four string. I agree with him, good music is good music labels be damned!.

14. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    You've got that right. I've met all the guys from BLS and had a quick chat with them. They're all really nice down to earth people. They treat their fans really well and they made me feel like I was honestly respected and not just "another dude who likes our music". Did you get a chance to talk to JD? He's a tops bloke.

Also, he has a new band called Cycle of Pain. I haven't heard much so far because they only formed very recently. From the previews I can say I'm not a big fan of the singer he has chosen, but the music rocks. :)

15. edubb

edubb

Dec 6, 2006
    To J.D. for quite a while before the show. Thats wht I like him so much. He is just a great guy, period. He mentioned his new band. I am definitely going to pick up that album too.