1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J&D luthier basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Sep 1, 2004.

1. has anyone seen these before? ive played one and it was really nice, cheap too! was only $550 aus for something simular to this
    [​IMG]
    but had a mahogany body, neck through and a different bridge, it felt nice, build quality looked good, my only problem was the neck pup was noisy..id be interested in picking one up once i get the money..but look through some of the models, a few of them look really hot...no headless models though :crying: :p

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have seen them but never played one.

3. they feel nice, kinda satiny finish..this is more like the one i tried, except with the above pup's and a mahogany body
    [​IMG]

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Thats a nice piece of ash. A motto I tend to live by is "you get what you pay for". Chances are you ain't gonna get a Sadowsky for $550Aus, but if you like it, buy it!

5. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I've played a few of them but I didn't really like them. I've played the 4 string fretted and fretless. They certainly look pretty nice but some of the smaller details in the finishing of the ones I played were a little off the mark.

They just sounded a little lifeless to me. It would be interesting to see what new pickups and electronics could do for them.

The fretless left me wondering a bit. It had a completely flat fingerboard which made it feel quite difficult to play and was factory strung with roundwounds. It seems like a pretty strange thing to do.

6. the cort curbows are exactly the same, no radius with roudwounds, difference is the cort costs $1000aus....

well of course they aint trying to be a sadowsky, i think thats a pretty fruitless comparison....i dont like sadowskys anyway :p id prefer a MIM fender

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If you want a cheap decent NT bass buy an Ashton AB1100

8. do ashton still make them? ahh with the prices of the mexicsn fenders i think id prefer one of them...or ill be crazy and save up until i can get a custom made copy of bootsy's space bass with 5 pickups and all white like the moon jazz's...mmmmmmm...space bass....space bass it is!!

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    No but they're only about $A3-400 secondhand in vgc.
    I know I wouldn't.
    It takes a certain kind of person to be able to pull off the look of Bootsy's bass without looking like a drag queen with bad taste. Are you really up to the challenge?

10. i pull off playing a kubicki dont i? i think a space bass will be easy :p

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Great. When you get one, and the matching outfit, tell me which pub in Newcastle you're performing in and when, 'cos I want to see it. :)

12. well actually this funk band im in now supposedly were sposed to be gigging in sydney, but were hopefully going to be giggin in about 2 months time..ill keep ya's all posted so you can witness a kubicki in action :smug:

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'll be up for that. I'll even let you buy me a beer Heath.

Hey, should I bring my Stingray 5 so you've got something decent to play?

(just joking, I like Kubicki's).

14. im hoping to get my envelope filter before we start gigging so we can play some p-funk, wait and be amazed at my tone (head grows 5 times larger) bring ya stingy if ya want :D wont worry me, i played a nice early ernie ball stingy 5 with a hipshot dropper on the B, the guy that owns it plays alot of soul and gospel, it played real nice..but just because you're sucking up by liking kubickis dont expect a trade..lol...ahh im so up myself