Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J&D luthier basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Sep 1, 2004.

1. has anyone seen these before? ive played one and it was really nice, cheap too! was only $550 aus for something simular to this
    [​IMG]
    but had a mahogany body, neck through and a different bridge, it felt nice, build quality looked good, my only problem was the neck pup was noisy..id be interested in picking one up once i get the money..but look through some of the models, a few of them look really hot...no headless models though :crying: :p

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have seen them but never played one.

3. they feel nice, kinda satiny finish..this is more like the one i tried, except with the above pup's and a mahogany body
    [​IMG]

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Thats a nice piece of ash. A motto I tend to live by is "you get what you pay for". Chances are you ain't gonna get a Sadowsky for $550Aus, but if you like it, buy it!

5. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I've played a few of them but I didn't really like them. I've played the 4 string fretted and fretless. They certainly look pretty nice but some of the smaller details in the finishing of the ones I played were a little off the mark.

They just sounded a little lifeless to me. It would be interesting to see what new pickups and electronics could do for them.

The fretless left me wondering a bit. It had a completely flat fingerboard which made it feel quite difficult to play and was factory strung with roundwounds. It seems like a pretty strange thing to do.

6. the cort curbows are exactly the same, no radius with roudwounds, difference is the cort costs $1000aus....

well of course they aint trying to be a sadowsky, i think thats a pretty fruitless comparison....i dont like sadowskys anyway :p id prefer a MIM fender

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If you want a cheap decent NT bass buy an Ashton AB1100

8. do ashton still make them? ahh with the prices of the mexicsn fenders i think id prefer one of them...or ill be crazy and save up until i can get a custom made copy of bootsy's space bass with 5 pickups and all white like the moon jazz's...mmmmmmm...space bass....space bass it is!!

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    No but they're only about $A3-400 secondhand in vgc.
    I know I wouldn't.
    It takes a certain kind of person to be able to pull off the look of Bootsy's bass without looking like a drag queen with bad taste. Are you really up to the challenge?

10. i pull off playing a kubicki dont i? i think a space bass will be easy :p

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Great. When you get one, and the matching outfit, tell me which pub in Newcastle you're performing in and when, 'cos I want to see it. :)

12. well actually this funk band im in now supposedly were sposed to be gigging in sydney, but were hopefully going to be giggin in about 2 months time..ill keep ya's all posted so you can witness a kubicki in action :smug:

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'll be up for that. I'll even let you buy me a beer Heath.

Hey, should I bring my Stingray 5 so you've got something decent to play?

(just joking, I like Kubicki's).

14. im hoping to get my envelope filter before we start gigging so we can play some p-funk, wait and be amazed at my tone (head grows 5 times larger) bring ya stingy if ya want :D wont worry me, i played a nice early Ernie Ball stingy 5 with a hipshot dropper on the B, the guy that owns it plays alot of soul and gospel, it played real nice..but just because you're sucking up by liking kubickis dont expect a trade..lol...ahh im so up myself