Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J&D Luthiers?...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chips, Jul 6, 2005.

1. gday guys,

Anyone have any information on these basses? i was in a local store today and they had a 4 and 6 string bass made by them that looked really nice and expensive, then i saw the price and thought they must be junk fake things. $500 AUD. Anyway i got the guy to plug it in and i had a play, and to my surprise, it was really nice to play. excellent slap tone, active elecs, and the pickups where the same shape as the barts that lakland basses have. which has givin me the idea to try and get it, then put the barts in it ;) Possiibly slap a different neck in there at a later date aswell. I was quite impressed. So have a i been tricked or are these actually quality instruments??

Cheers,
    Chips :bassist:

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Was it "J&D" or just "JD" - if the latter it could be a John Diggins (also known as JayDee) or a Jerzy Drozd (!!!!! Hardly ever see these with ony 4 strings !!!!!!). Either way, at 500 AUD you should BUY IT!!

Anyway, thought of doing a Google Image search to try and identify it?

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

....or JD Lewis (Warrior).

4. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    They're readily available in Singapore as well, which brings me to suspect that they're probably a house brand of a china/korean/indonesian manufacturer... though I could be wrong.

From the ones that I've seen/heard, they're decent starter basses.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Not a jaydee,warrior, or drozd desafortunadamente.

If you do a google search, there is some information on these basses, including prices at other stores. There's also a review (one person's opinion) here:
    http://activebass.com/resources/revmain.asp?i=4550

Marshall

7. errmmm... whats AFAIK? :confused:

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    As Far As I Know.

Marshall

9. Absolutely correct.
    I've seen them around a few stores here in Melbourne, but haven't really given of them a real test.

10. Those J&D's are available here in Manila.. but i've yet to see some of their bass guitars. Our guitarist brought a Strat copy off a warehouse for 1500 pesos ( US$30!!!). We were expecting some written notes on the cavity (..y'know..like help written by a child.. :rolleyes: ), thinking about the overhead production of this thing. i mean, $30!!! They must have cut corners with this production.

..and oh.. they suck. but that's given, right?