Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-FET preamp/DI vs tube preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by qveda, Dec 24, 2004.

1. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Hi, I've been reading up in various mic pre/DI's . Some boast the use of J-FET (transistors) in their design which can be 'saturated' and thus emulate the effect tubes can have.

can someone describe the way a J-FET preamp sounds vs a tube preamp? advantages?

-Qua

2. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Try a Millennia STT-1 pre-amp,it's tube or solid state!!

3. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Unfortunately the Millenia products are beyond my price range - especially since I'd need two (for my Stick)

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    JFETs behave similarly to tubes in many respects, but they have the advantages that they don't draw as much power and aren't subject to vibration (usually). JFETs tend to behave more like pentode tubes than triodes, so the kind of distortion they generate is a little harsher to some folks' ears.

Any kind of amplifying device can be 'saturated' when overdriven. But a JFET behaves most similarly to a tube of all the solid state devices. A good engineer should be able to make a JFET pre sound very similar to a tube pre.