J.J. Jackson dead

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Mar 18, 2004.

1. :(
    One of the original MTV veejays has passed on..
    LOS ANGELES (AP) -- John 'J.J.' Jackson, who in the 1980s helped usher in the music video era as one of the first MTV on-air personalities, has died. He was 62.
    Jackson, a longtime radio station disc jockey, died of an
    apparent heart attack Wednesday while driving home from dinner in Los Angeles, friends and radio industry colleagues said Thursday.
    "I talked to him like two days ago. J.J. was in a great
    place," said Mark Goodman, a longtime friend who also worked with Jackson as a 'VJ' when MTV launched in 1981. "It's incredible, so incredibly sad it happened like this."
    In a statement, MTV said Jackson's love of music and good humor helped set the tone for the cable music network in its formative years.
    "He was a big part of the channel's success and we are sure he is in the music section of heaven, with lots of his friends and heroes," the statement said. "He will be greatly missed."
    Jackson's career in broadcasting began in radio. He first gained prominence while working at WBCN in Boston in the late 1960s, then moved in 1971 to Los Angeles where he took on the afternoon radio slot at KLOS.
    In the late '70s, he worked as a music reporter for KABC-TV,
    then it was off to New York and MTV, where his musical knowledge, hewn over years in radio, helped ease his transition to a new format for music, Goodman said.
    "It was a great experience for him. He came in already knowing and being successful," Goodman said. "We were all thrust into the spotlight and he was able to take the things that happened at MTV with stride."
    After five years at MTV, Jackson returned to radio in Los
    Angeles, including a stint hosting a nationally syndicated show on the Westwood One Radio Network. Most recently, he was hosting an afternoon slot at Los Angeles' KTWV.
    "All of us at The Wave (KTWV) are saddened by the news about J.J.," said Samantha Wiedmann, assistant program director for KTWV. "He was a warm, kind person whose track record in the industry speaks for itself."
    Goodman said Jackson had been divorced for some time. He had a daughter and two grandchildren in the Bahamas, Goodman said.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Granted I was young, but unlike many here for whom it probably seems like there was never not an MTV, I very much remember the early days. JJ was cool.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow, I didn't even hear about this! RIP, bro.
  5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    rip you smooooooth sucka
  6. I always thought he was old. But he was definately cool. RIP.
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Lots of the kids here are probably clueless as to who J.J. was. Its really sad, cause J.J. was very cool.
  8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    JJ was very cool, and he helped make MTV cool back then. It had the air of something new and different. After the original VJs left, MTV was never quite the same. RIP, JJ.
  9. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    You young kids! JJ was a DJ on WBCN in Boston at the birth of Album Oriented Rock programming - late sixties - , along with Peter Wolf. 'BCN was one of the national leaders in breaking away from Top 40 and playing Velvet Underground, the San Francisco bands, etc. They defined cool for boomers like me. I vaguely remember JJ being on the air - I was an early teen at the time, so their music turned me from a pop kid to a rocker. RIP.
  10. lovely

Jun 13, 2003
    Phoenix, Az.
    I just found out about JJ too. Man am I bummed. I was 9 when MTV went on the air and yes! I saw the first Vid. I grew up with that guy and the other VJ's. He was cool and should be remembered for his Radio and VJ contributions to Rock history. RIP Bud.