1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J/J or J/MM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by badboy1984, Mar 16, 2008.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    What will the sound like if a normal J/J corvette transform to J/MM?

Replace the bridge pup to a MM pickup or Replace the Neck pup to a MM pup?

Also will it still hum if 1 Jazz pup is taken out?

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    i'd go J/MM

3. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Those audio sample is good. The MM pup near the bridge give alot of growl while the sound is still punchy.

My corvette passive have delano jazz set in them already and i got a set of Delano MM spare. So i hoping to replace the bridge pup with my Delano MM.

I can imagine the sound but hum maybe a problem for me. If i run the bridge pup only i get no hum since the bridge pup is a MM. But If roll the tone all the way to the neck where the jazz pup is i may get alot of hum. But i probably end end using the MM pup most but blend in the neck pickup a little.

4. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    wow just checked out the lakeland link. and the jmm combo. soundedgood, but i need more precision punch. think i am gonna do pmm after all

5. The problem with a P/MM setup is that the traditional locations of the MM and P pickups overlap each other, so either the P has to be moved closed to the neck, making it bassier and warming sounding, loosing some cut, or moving the MM closer to the bridge, making it a bit thinner sounding (they usually move the MM closer to the bridge)

6. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    yea. how punchy are the tele p pups?

7. Ah, good question. And I cant answer it, only played a RI very briefly once. Never seen the single coil P + MM combination tho. Could be pretty cool :)

8. mfbolton

mfbolton Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have been thinking about building a P/MM. I hadn't really thought about the fact that those traditional sweet spots overlap. The single coil P idea is very interesting. I am going to have to rethink my ideas now, while I research the single P options.

9. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Actually, the sweet sports don't overlap, they just get extremely close. Let me dig up a picture

EDIT: Here we go. This was made by overlaying a pic of a P while getting the fret dots aligned.

EDIT: Here's the pic, sorry. StingRay4.

10. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    ah i have done the exact thing. it may appear pefrect, but they do overlap by a fraction. it is smarter to move the p slightly to the neck, than it is to move the mm closer to the bridge. so if you mode a bass to be a pmm, start with an olp or something that original has the mm, and a add a p just below it, rather than add a mm to a p bass. another possible option is to rig one of the pups above the strings via a non metal pickup plate cover. both in the sweet spot, yet magnets don't cross eachother. i think it is possible, although i have never seen it done.
    i found a pickup template sheet in one of my luthiering books and made a pmm template today, with will go in the bass i am building. mm in sweet spot, p behind. will keep u updated