1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J/MM/J in 70's placement?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grace & groove, Mar 8, 2008.

1. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Would the MM pickup in the sweetspot (I believe 2 inches from the bridge) overlap the positions of the J pickups in the 70's placement?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think it is pretty close.

3. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    I know it is about 4 inches in between the J pickups but I am not sure of their exact locations.

4. I don't think there is any way to match up a true J position for a MM position with either of the coils tapped when the MM pickup is in true MM position. It seems, if anything, the rear coil would be closer to the 60's position.

I'm not exactly sure here, but Mikebass has an MM/J with the MM in exact MM position, and that puts that pickup way farther away from the bridge than a 70's positioned J pickup to my eye. That bass (a Valenti) TOTALLY nails the MM deal, and 'kind-of' does a J tone.... you can have one, but not the other IMO and IME.

5. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    What I meant was to have a J pickup on either side of the pickup. I'm not sure if the MM pickup lies in the 4 inches between the J pickups.

6. Yep. I believe there's room for all three to be in their true positions.

7. Ah... you know, that might work. It's amazing how much room there is between the bridge and MM pickup with a J Bass body and the MM pickup in true MM position.

Nino Valenti could give you the scoop if you PM him.

8. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Thanks alot, will do. :)

9. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Line up the 12th frets in photoshop and you tell me. :) I think its close but there might be a slight bit of overlap. That being said there is definitely enough room in between 70's J locations, so you could bump the MM up a bit. This would round the tone out some but probably not noticeable in a mix.

10. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Can't use Photoshop. I don't even have Microsoft Office on this computer. I probably would bump up the MM a bit like you said. Either way I PMed Nino, I'll see what he says.

11. I just did some measuring. With 70's jazz placement, it should work. With 60's spacing it just barely overlaps.

12. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Yay, that is what I thought! Thank you sir. :)