1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J/MM? P/MM? J/MJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by -Asdfgh-, Dec 4, 2018.

1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    My parts jazz is currently J/J with a good pair of Kent Armstrong pickups. But I've been wondering about something with an MM pickup again, but with series/parallel /single options to get back to something akin to J/J if required, although I rarely use that, typical just the neck J. But I noticed Wilkson makes what is pretty much half an MM bolted onto a J pickup. Has anyone tried that out and assessed how close to a true MM it can get?

If I'm fiddling this much it then becomes tempting to swap the neck J out and put a P on there with series/parallel switching. There's space under the Pick guard to do this. By that point it wouldn't be much of a Jazz, and I'd have a spare pair of J pickups again.

2. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I have played Lakland basses with the J\MM setup and I like it. With a spliter in the MM you have a lot of tonal options. I would like to play a P\MM bass. In my head it seems like a good idea.

3. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The MM and J pickups are rather different with the J usually being a slightly hotter wound coil with the dual magnets per string to soften the initial attack of the note. The MM pickup is a low wind set of coils (usually in parallel) with the big poles that have an explosive attack. I'm not familiar with the Wilkinson pickup, but Delano makes a hybrid pickup that fine tunes the response to cater to these different tones and does them rather well.

A big part of the character of a J vs MM bass is the pickup location. I have an Ibanez with a double J pickup right in the spot where a MM Stingray pickup is located. In parallel mode, it sounds much like a passive Stingray, in single mode, it sounds somewhere like a J or Ric soloed bridge pickup.

Putting that hybrid pickup with the J coil near the 60s position would give a good J emulation and when running the pickup in parallel it would get a decent SR emulation.

Of course, I also think about a P/MM hybrid. These pickups tend to balance well with each other. With the MM PU in rear/single coil mode and P PU in parallel mode, it would get a pretty cool Jazz emulation.

4. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I quite like the series MM sound, although the success of that in a hybrid would depend on how hot each coil is wound. In my last bass with an MM I added a series/parallel switch, but not single coil as well.

In theory there should be a preamp, but I'd probably just rely on an external one rather than trying to shoehorn one in. If I did it would require a stacked vol/blend, bass/treble and then either an MM control, or extra holes for switching and an additional passive tone, which I thought worked well on the Westone Thunder 1A, as did series/parallel for the P pickup.