1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J/MM suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lockout, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'm currently gathering ideas for a future Warmoth 5-string project... after looking at all the beatiful custom Warmoth basses people here have made, I can't resist. :)

I've been trying to decide between different pickup combinations, since I want this bass to be as versatile as possible. After doing a little research, it seems that a Jazz pickup with a Musicman-style pickup would probably be the best choice. However, I don't know which brands carry both types, and which brand would give me the most versatility and best overall sound. So I'm open to suggestions. :)

I was looking at Seymour Duncan Basslines, but then I noticed that their 5-string jazz pickups are completely covered, which I think would look kinda strange with the MM. I know I shouldn't make a big fuss about it, but I'm very picky about these things. I'd prefer to have the metal exposed. :meh:

Whichever pickups I choose, I'll probably be using them with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp.

Also I was wondering, I've seen several basses with 2 MM pickups, how does that work out for sound and versatility?

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    C'mon now, someone must have experience with this. Don't be shy :)