Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J/MM suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lockout, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'm currently gathering ideas for a future Warmoth 5-string project... after looking at all the beatiful custom Warmoth basses people here have made, I can't resist. :)

I've been trying to decide between different pickup combinations, since I want this bass to be as versatile as possible. After doing a little research, it seems that a Jazz pickup with a Musicman-style pickup would probably be the best choice. However, I don't know which brands carry both types, and which brand would give me the most versatility and best overall sound. So I'm open to suggestions. :)

I was looking at Seymour Duncan Basslines, but then I noticed that their 5-string jazz pickups are completely covered, which I think would look kinda strange with the MM. I know I shouldn't make a big fuss about it, but I'm very picky about these things. I'd prefer to have the metal exposed. :meh:

Whichever pickups I choose, I'll probably be using them with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp.

Also I was wondering, I've seen several basses with 2 MM pickups, how does that work out for sound and versatility?

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    C'mon now, someone must have experience with this. Don't be shy :)