Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by E=Fb, Mar 13, 2006.

1. E=Fb

E=Fb Guest

Jan 28, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Lately I've been really intrigued by the idea of a J+MM bass. What's the cheapest (and best) way to get into one of these?
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    One of the cheapest quality J/MM basses is the Ibanez RD500/505. IT is very versatile. Mine has a really decent b string. It was a bit over $400 USA. Used USA PEavey Millenniums also have the J/MM and they are great buys too. They tend to be pretty cheap in the States, I don't know about Australia.
  3. +1 on the RD series, i'm not a fan of J/MM much. but that bass plays great for its price, only ibanez i've really liked. played it at a local GC< it looks kinda weird though...but thats cause of the horns and its growin on me.
  4. I'm pretty positive Carvin will offer you a J+MM bass. Not sure of the price though. Also, The Bass Company has a J+MM model, as well as Schecter.

5. Don't know about best, but cheapest is a Cort model I was looking at on the internet. Indonesian made, Mighty Mite pickups, asking $350NZ (about $220 US). I was looking at it as a defret project until I scored another Ibanez ATK.

6. E=Fb

E=Fb Guest

Jan 28, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for the info guys.

This may sound incredibly stupid, but is it possible to simply replace one of the J pickups with an MM pickup on a Jazz bass? I have a SX SVJ-62 for the record.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It can be done. are you handy with tools and wood working? Do you know someone who is?
  8. I'll 2nd the vote for Cort, just today i was playing a GB75, 5 string with MM+J set up and a really tight B string. The electronics aren't the best out there, but they sound good enough for me.

Edit: I just read you are from Australia, DEFINATELY check out the Cort GB series, they have 2 models, the GB34/35 and GB74/75 (4 and 5 string models). They have an active pre-amp too and are pretty darn cheap but good instruments.
  9. You could go for a Warwick. Their 'Jazzman' models all feature the J+MM pickup configuration. Really great basses; I once had a Corvette FNA Jazzman that had a really awesome sound.
  10. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Not a stupid idea at all!

This is what one TB'er did with a bass that was originally a P. Granted, he didn't replace a pickup, he added an MM where there wasn't one before.

Even so, the result is classy!

(This was originally a Squier. You can read about it here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201127)
  11. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Yep, got this off Ebay for $500

Sounds incredable!
  12. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

Just a little plug for The Bass Company.
    Recently got a single M bass from them (see sig), and absolutely love it. Best bass I've ever played at it's price-point, including used basses.

I don't know about their availability downunder though.
  13. US Peavey Millenium+ just popped into my head too. They came with a jazz set or a jazz and a humbucker at the bridge. Have heard nothing but praise for Peavey USA, and my experience with Peavey has been a great one to boot.

14. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    + 1 on the Peavey USA Millenniums.

The Plus models have figured tops and drop D tuners. Mine is not a Plus model - it has a nice black finish and regular tuners. I love the J/MM configuration - most of the time I am on the MM which can punch through our horns and keyboards. You can generally find them for 400-600 used on the Bay or in stores.

15. Cheapest...some of the basses already posted

Best.....Lakland 55-94
  16. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

This is somewhat of a repost from a different thread but it certainly applies here.

A good option for what you are seeking is the Ibanez RD505.

(Here's a Review in BassPlayer)

From what I can see, this looks like a pretty strong option. I've never played one but I have seen them and they look fantastic! And the price point is right around $450-$500. (There is a 4-string available that is slightly less expensive.)

Send a PM to "Dr. Cheese" -- he has one and loves it!

Is it me or is there just a tiny bit of a resemblance to the Lakland 55-02? :eyebrow:

17. Nope, not just you. I noticed it not too long ago when I almost- and I sincerely mean almost- mistook the Ibby for the Lakland at an Orlando GC.

18. if i were you, i'd go with the schecter CV-4

mmm...so sexy

schecters are ridiculously great for the price, i jammed with my friend who has a schecter S-1 with the tap switch, and wow, its frikin amazing, i like it better than my other friends' american deluxe strat

...that or the RD, theyre both great
  19. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    That's one heck of a nice bass. I played one of those, and I was amazed at the sound and the feel, even before I noticed the price tag of $650 which completely shocked me. I was expecting to be hit with a price of at least $1000+.

It had a nice small comfortable body, one heck of a stunning finishing job, Versatile EQing and tone, pretty nifty "Slap Switch," and one heck of a neck! The neck was one of the most comfortable I've played, with a nice J taper and super smooth satin finish. Awesome fretwork, not a buzz even with super-low action. I loved the feel of this bass. It was extremely light, too.

I'd love to find a cheap used one to mess with. Not that the electronics need to be replaced, but as I always have to customize things, I would probably drop in a SD MM pickup/3band EQ and maybe wire the slap switch to be a Ser/Par/SC like a Sterling.

The only thing I really would have wanted is a Maple board, which unfortunately isn't available on this model.

If I were you I'd definitely consider this bass. I know I will have to play one again when I get some money....:ninja: