1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J-Neck on a P-Body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jrock111, Oct 10, 2000.

1. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I am pretty new to playing the bass. I got a great deal on a MIM P-bass. To cheap to pass up. However, after going to the music stores and playing the J-bass, I prefered the feel of the neck more. I was wondering if the necks and bodys of these two basses are interchangable. I know that Fender makes the P-bass special which is that configuration, but I don't know if thats custom made. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    The MIM J bass neck will fit on a MIM P body. As will many aftermarket replacement necks, however, the aftermarket ones will probably cost nearly as much as the MIM bass did. You might find a suitable neck for auction somewhere.

The P special is a standard production item.

3. The MIM Deluxe P Bass Special is definitely worth a look.
    I've had one for a few months now and love it, especially the jazz type neck.
    They do cost a little more than the standard MIM Precision, but still amazing value for money, plus you get that extra jazz pick-up.
    If you have only just bought your standard P bass maybe it’s worth telling the store you made a mistake and would they change it for the special without you loosing too much money. If they are a good store and want to keep your future custom it’s likely that they will do this.

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Like you I went through the J neck on a P body as the best possible combination. But in the end I wound up coming full circle. I now have both a Jazz and Precision and have given up on the "combo" configuration.
    I found after much trial and error that the P sounds like the P should and the J sounds like a J should. I even found that the two necks have they're own advantages.A new player( or a guitar convert) will certainly find the J neck easier to play but once you have some experience you'll find the P neck has some advantages as well.There are some basslines (particularly some quick R&B lines)where the extra spacing of the strings on the P are an advantage.
    I gig 5 to 6 times a month and I alternate my P and J depending on my preference of the day.Its kinda like ice cream. I always like ice cream but some days I prefer chocolate and some days butterscotch.
    My advice..keep your P and save up for a J later.

5. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    ... OR, you can buy an MIM J, swap the necks, and sell the J with the P neck on Ebay for around $200-$225. That way, you could pick the J with a neck you like and I'd cost you well under $100 when all is said and done.

6. Foxton

Foxton

Jul 12, 2000
    Recently I ordered A replica of an early to mid 60s' P-Bass.
    I always liked the sound of a P-Bass but I didn't like the neck dimensions, so I orderd it with a J-Bass type neck.
    I would recomend you to buy the P-Bass special (MIM) only if you have enough money.
    Otherwise, keep the P-Bass and when you feel that you want to upgrade, get the P-Bass Special.

7. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    What ever