J-Neck on a P-Body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jrock111, Oct 10, 2000.

1. jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    I am pretty new to playing the bass. I got a great deal on a MIM P-bass. To cheap to pass up. However, after going to the music stores and playing the J-bass, I prefered the feel of the neck more. I was wondering if the necks and bodys of these two basses are interchangable. I know that Fender makes the P-bass special which is that configuration, but I don't know if thats custom made. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    The MIM J bass neck will fit on a MIM P body. As will many aftermarket replacement necks, however, the aftermarket ones will probably cost nearly as much as the MIM bass did. You might find a suitable neck for auction somewhere.

The P special is a standard production item.
  3. The MIM Deluxe P Bass Special is definitely worth a look.
    I've had one for a few months now and love it, especially the jazz type neck.
    They do cost a little more than the standard MIM Precision, but still amazing value for money, plus you get that extra jazz pick-up.
    If you have only just bought your standard P bass maybe it’s worth telling the store you made a mistake and would they change it for the special without you loosing too much money. If they are a good store and want to keep your future custom it’s likely that they will do this.
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Like you I went through the J neck on a P body as the best possible combination. But in the end I wound up coming full circle. I now have both a Jazz and Precision and have given up on the "combo" configuration.
    I found after much trial and error that the P sounds like the P should and the J sounds like a J should. I even found that the two necks have they're own advantages.A new player( or a guitar convert) will certainly find the J neck easier to play but once you have some experience you'll find the P neck has some advantages as well.There are some basslines (particularly some quick R&B lines)where the extra spacing of the strings on the P are an advantage.
    I gig 5 to 6 times a month and I alternate my P and J depending on my preference of the day.Its kinda like ice cream. I always like ice cream but some days I prefer chocolate and some days butterscotch.
    My advice..keep your P and save up for a J later.
  5. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    ... OR, you can buy an MIM J, swap the necks, and sell the J with the P neck on Ebay for around $200-$225. That way, you could pick the J with a neck you like and I'd cost you well under $100 when all is said and done.
  6. Foxton

Jul 12, 2000
    Recently I ordered A replica of an early to mid 60s' P-Bass.
    I always liked the sound of a P-Bass but I didn't like the neck dimensions, so I orderd it with a J-Bass type neck.
    I would recomend you to buy the P-Bass special (MIM) only if you have enough money.
    Otherwise, keep the P-Bass and when you feel that you want to upgrade, get the P-Bass Special.