J neck pup w/ MM Bridge pup suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tufnuts, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Hey all. I have yet to work on pup's on any of my basses/friend's guitars. So I'm kinda in the dark, electronically.

What I am wanting to do is buildup a bass w/ J pup in the neck, and a MM for the bridge. Now I know I can physically mount the suckers. But when It comes to an active preamp...sorta lost. Just wanted to know what manufacturers I should check out. I'm tryin to stick with a reasonable budget. I don't wanna have to sell the thing as soon as I get it done. So let's try to stay in a $300 range when it comes to suggestions. I'd say a 9v system because of cost, but some suggestions on 18v systems would be cool too. It'll be a gradual buildup, so I may have the $$$ by then. (gotta play some more gigs...oh damn :D )

Plus I was really wanting to know if there is a manufacturer that makes a pup/preamp package as I described? I'm not picky about brands, I just wanna know what's worked for people on this forum.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A couple of the best are www.bartolini.net and www.basslines.com . Both make outstanding pickups. Bartolinis come with a wiring harness included with the pickups, so buying a preamp isn't necessary. You just have to figure out what features you want in the harness, like 3 band EQ for mids.

www.lanepoor.com would have been my highest reco, but I don't know what's going on there these days. The store is there but there doesn't seem to be anyone in it.

Also, take a look at www.bassplayer.com , click on "Gear" and the top of the page and when that page appears look for J pickup shootout on the right hand side to link to the article. They compare a ton of J pickups.
  3. You da man Rick. I've heard of each before, and I see what you're talkin about w/ the barts. Things are looking more promising everyday:)

Great forum.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, Dave, most people who get into what goes into an instrument have, but, I thought it best not to assume and make sure you are clued in to a couple of those that rule the roost. DiMarzio and EMG are up there, too.

A couple of lesser knowns that have received favorable reactions are Lindy Fralin (he is the king of tweaked Strat pups among his other guitar and bass pups), Rio Grandes, Aeros are great, and J.M. Rolphs makes custom pickups and have been very responsive to me when I looked into custom-from-the-ground-up pups, but they only make 4 string bass pups, so I couldn't do business with them.

Here is a reference I've always liked where a luthier compares various makes of pickups and preamps www.kingbass.com/pickups.html . If you read what he says about Lane Poors, you'll know why I'm so frosted that I can't get any response out of them to put some on a custom I'm having built.