1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J pickup for my P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by morebass!, Aug 1, 2004.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Looking for a J bridge pickup to put in my P-bass. Lots of threads on matched sets but not much on what kind of J would match up well with a stock pickup in a MIA P. I know this mod has been done a million times so sorry if there's thread out there on this. I searched but did not find one.

The stock P pickup seems pretty hot. As areference point the volume of the P is louder than my J with Duncan Antiquity IIs in parallel but less than that bass in series. The P sounds full but kind of hollow (I guess that's the trademark P sound). I'm usually pretty happy with a Jazz bass but this P sounds and feels so good that I want to keep it and play it in a band setting which means I need more cut and growl. So I'm looking for an easy, no-route, drop-in, passive solution. It's got to have firm low mids and enough output to keep up with the P. I'd probably go with a volume/balance/tone configuration. I slap some but don't go for a ultra modern sound. Thanks