"J" pickup owners please read!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by metalbass101, Jan 25, 2004.

1. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I noticed how brands like carvin,warwick,etc.
    like to put J pickups in the neck position.Are all of these pickups brige style or neck style?Considering its in the "warm" spot,how does it compare to a bridge placed J if you trying to get that clear as glass punchy pickstyle tone? (fender TONE knob owners know what Im saying)
  2. Are you talking about just one pickup? all the basses i've seen that have a jazz pickup in the neck spot have another in the bridge position, like a mm. i would think the jazz p/u would be there to balance the brighter sound of the bridge position pickup.

i'm pretty sure the only difference between 'neck' and 'bridge' j pickups is the length, which is different to compensate for the fact that the strings are farther apart at the bridge than at the neck. electronically, i think they're identical. i know the MIM jazzes had identical pickups in the two positions up until about 99? 2000? 2001? i can't remember when exactly they switched to the two lengths, but up till that point, it was ok.