1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J-Pickup Wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stephanheimer, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Stephanheimer

Stephanheimer

Feb 15, 2009
    I have a Jazz bass with 2 older (early 80's) Dimarzio Model J pickups (4 conductor wiring) that I am going to rewire. I am trying to resolve some noise problems and want to add some switching capability for different tones and i'm looking for some advice.

Noise issue: when I take my hands off the bass it immediately gets noisier. I have tried to fix this by adding sheilding in the control and pickup cavities and improving the ground to bridge. I have checked conductivity and confirmed that the shielding and ground wiring is ok. The pots in there are cheap and I am replacing them with high quality CTS parts which I hope will help.

Question 1: Anything I should be looking for or doing to eliminate the noise?

Wiring: Currently the bass is wired like a standard jazz bass (2 Vol, 1 tone) with the Red wire from each pickup acting as the hot and the black and white wires connected to each other. I want to wire it so I can switch from series to parallel operation. I purchased 2 regular CTS pots and a pot with a push/pull switch (CTS EP-5585-000). From my understanding I can use this switch to change the relationship of the 2 pickups from series to parallel but after doing further research I guess that the Model J pickup is itself humbucking and each pickup can be wired to it’s own push/pull switch to change from series to parallel.

Question 2: Since the pickups are humbucking will switching them from series to parallel produce a big difference in sound?

Question 3: Can I use the push/pull pot as a tone pot or does it have to be in a particular position (i.e. neck volume, bridge volume etc).

Question 4: Am I better off to put push/pull pots in all 3 positions for more tonal variety?

Question 5: What is the orientation of the Model J? Is it humbucking like a P-bass pick

2. Make sure there is continuity between the pickup cavity shielding & the sleeve side of the output jack.
    Here is a good tutorial on shielding a Jazz bass:

Jazz Shielding Pictorial (Big Images Warning)

series/parallel:

A push/pull can go almost anywhere (except in a dual gang position, like balance), but if you want each pickup to do series/parallel it would make sense for the volume pot of each pickup to be the series/parallel switch for that pickup.

Here is a paper by DiMarzio about wiring up their pickups.

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/4Conductor.pdf

There is a phase switch diagram, but I don't really think it would be very useful. Otherwise, I can't think of what to use the 3rd push/pull for.

The Model J are humbuckers, so I am surprised you're having trouble with noise.