Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J pickup with HUGE bottom?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shwashwa, Aug 31, 2004.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    ok, i think my carvin pickups are alittle thin sounding. when i use my preamp and or eq pedal i can fix it and get a nice tone, but i'd kind of like to have the nice tone coming directly from the bass. i have emg's in another bass (p/j) and really like them, so i'll try them in the carvin. in my other bass i only use one battery, but i'm thinking of using 2 in my carvin based on the posts i've read. (emg recommends it too with their tone controls). i have a few questions concerning this.
    1) should i replace just the pickups or the whole preamp too? will there be that much difference in tone between preamps?

2) should i go with the one or 2 batteries?

3) if i go with 2 batteries where the heck will i put them? the carvin has a special cavity for the battery with it's own easy removeable cover.. can i throw the other battery in the cavity for the controls?
    thanks

2. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    ok, in addition to my thread on carvin pickups being replace with emg's, i'm now considering just replacing the passive carvin pickups and keeping the active/passive carvin electronics. what J style pickups have a really big bottom? i like the jaco sound, with more low end. i guess what i'm asking for is big bottom but not mushy. (i'm primarliy an upright player, that's where i get my love for the huge bottom, but i dont know too much about bg equipment) feel free to recommend the big brand names as well as high end stuff.
    i dont want any hum either... thanks. :)

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Merged your threads together...

For info on J-pickups, check out the sticky at the top.
    Lots of reviews on them there.

4. I have used the Duncan Vintage Stacked Humbuckers with great success in a couple of Jazz Basses with great success. They are passive but have great tone and are dead quiet; sound techs and recording engineers love them.

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I haven't tried as many different pickups as you guys - but I use the Antiquity II's and am very pleased.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I may sound like a broken record, but I just love Bill Lawrence pups. Very quiet and lot's of bottom.

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    1) should i replace just the pickups or the whole preamp too? will there be that much difference in tone between preamps?

To get the most out of it, I would change both, but pickups first as they are most important.

2) should i go with the one or 2 batteries?

3) if i go with 2 batteries where the heck will i put them? the carvin has a special cavity for the battery with it's own easy removeable cover.. can i throw the other battery in the cavity for the controls?
    thanks

If you only have one battery compartment, you could take the wire coming out of the compartment and connect it with an additional battery plug and secure it down in the control cavity. But If I were you, I'd run just 9 volts. Interestingly, I had 2 battery compartments and only used one in the circuit. I disconnected the other and use it as a "storage" compartment for a spare battery. Nice.