1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"J" pickups discussion and comparisons - PART II

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by grygrx, Oct 21, 2013.

1. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Can someone please compare the Duncan Quarterpound J's to the Fender '74's?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca Never spit through an open doorway... Supporting Member

Thanks for the detailed review of the aforementioned pickups. That really makes we want to try a set of Klein 62's in my J.............

3. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    I'm in the market for a set of 4 string Lollars if anyone is looking to sell a set. Recently got a jazz bass again and they are my go to pickups.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca Never spit through an open doorway... Supporting Member

Okay my friend, so I can only speak from limited experience. I have played both those sets of pickups on a maple neck , alder body jazz bass. From recent memory I can tell you that the Duncan quarter pounder J's have a massive, ballsy, grinding tone that really does sound great. Lots of harmonics, lots of lows , and lots of mids, pretty much lots of everything. I think that if you were to play a jazz bass with the quarter pounder jazz pickups you could cover a lot of ground in terms of musical styles and really having a massive , no bull crap tone. Now having recently played a set of the Pure Vintage 74' Fender Jazz Bass pickups, I can also tell you that they have a much different tone. The way that I would describe them would be that they have a nice , fat and yet compressed tone with an open mid range and an "airy-ness" to their harmonic content. The low-end seems to be dominated by a nice complex low mid-tone, and the highs are well-rounded but not overbearing. For me, I would definitely pick the 74's over the Quarter Pounders simply based on the classic sound and well-roundedness of the tone of the 74's. If you're looking for a more versatile , modern sound, applicable to a wider variety of hardcore musical styles, with a super fat punchiness that says "f@$k the man" , then I would go for the Seymour Duncan, Quarter Pounders. Good luck and happy bass!

bdplaid, TonyP- and RBJ11 like this.
  5. C Squared

C Squared

Nov 15, 2010
    So I just picked up an Ibanez MiKro 5 string. Pickups are noisy as hell, and not very flavorful to my ears. I really enjoy the combo of a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz in the bridge and the Area j in the neck. Now the Mikro pickups are the same dimensions as a standard J neck pickup. Any ideas on A)who makes bar magnet pickup that will get me close to the tones of the DiMarzios, or B) what it will sound like if I just try and use these pickups even though (obviously) the strings won't be anywhere near to lining up with the pole pieces?

And if it makes any difference, I plan on restringing this with flats and tuning D-G-C-F-A (low to high)

6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    If you go back a few pages in this thread you'll find a bunch of posts about the new-ish Nordstrand Jazz Blades. I've got them in my Geddy Lee Jazz and really like them. It's been a long time since I played a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, so I can't really comment on how they'd compare for tone, but I'd think they lean more towards the Area Jazz vibe, i.e. more vintage inspired than modern.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Pbassmanca and C Squared like this.
  7. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    I have also made a thread on it, but I thought I might point you guys in the direction of this question. :)

8. i'm looking for some replacements pick-ups on my Geddy Lee Jazz bass. If i'm making a quick analysis of everything that i have read i't looks like Seymour duncan or 74 jazz bass fender pick-ups would be a great choice and Nordstrand would be a great choice too. What about 60's Fender jazz bass pick-ups? Also i would like to know why exactly 74 ? Could it be 70-71-72-73 or 75 or something between 76 to 79 ? Are the 74 more special than all other 70's pick-ups? Actually i have Lauzon pick-ups noiseless made in Québec ,Canada.These are very good pick-ups. But the luthier told me that maybe it is possible that they have to be changed. Ground problem i d'ont know... maybe he can fix it. But the idea of trying something different can be interesting. i'm into a mix of Motown,funk,rock ,Stevie Wonder, Jamerson, Jackson 5, Led zeppelin ,Red hot chili Peppers , everything that is between the 60 - 90 s. What would be the best quality priced pick-ups that covers everything i have said?

9. I replaced my stock pickups on my Fender Custom Shop '64 Jazz bass with following:

NJ4SV Vintage Hum-Cancelling

Fantastic pickups ... I really can't say more. I play the same music that you like.

Pbassmanca and JIO like this.
  10. ok thank you i will consider this option... but of course They are not the less expansive on the market. Some luthier and musicians told me good things about them

11. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    The '74s are that year because they are the pickups from the AVRI '74 Jazz Bass, which later became available to buy on their own. People tend to say that Fender QC was not so tight in that era, so the PV '74s are probably based on an 'average' winds, DC resistance etc taken from a number of sets from that year. What I will say is that they sound almost identical to the original pickups in my 1974 Jazz - perhaps a tiny bit hotter but the difference is very small. I have since had the broken originals rewound and the PV '74s now live in my Squier VM fretless, and they sound killer there.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. I have a Rogue 5 string (J in the bridge, P in the neck) that was given to me a while back. I hate the way it sounds. It has no life, no character of its own. It's very flat and boring. I can make it sound decent with my preamp and a little drive, but I've been thinking about trying some of the less expensive pickups I've seen online. Any recommendations? I am not interested in spending a ton to upgrade this thing.

13. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Not to go against the point of this thread, but have you tried changing the strings? Sometimes that's all it takes.

14. I have, and the new strings did help a bit, but it still sounds pretty weak. I'm interested in switching the pickups out anyway.

NKBassman likes this.
  15. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Just checking ;)
    I don't have much experience with 5-string pickups, so I'm of no more help.

16. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Pantone 333 likes this.
  17. Hey guys, I've got myself a fender Squier series jazz, the pots on the thing are going, and I figure I might as well replace the pickups. The thing is though, I'm really not sure what kind of sound I'm after. She's got some chromes on her, so I figure something with a warmer sound might suit that a bit better.

That's all well and good, but my American deluxe V has a quarter pounder at the bridge, and it's amazing. There are a billion options, and I'm mostly looking at the dimarzio model J pickups, the Seymour Duncan quarter pounders, and maybe the emg jhz pickups. I'm open to other options, but at the same point - oddly enough - whenever I try to think of how I want the sound to change, nothing comes to mind.

Should I really go through the effort of deliberating on pickup choices if I can't think of how to improve the sound?

18. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Ok. I have a sound clip of the lipstick jazz pickups.

How the heck do I upload/embed an MP4 file?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  19. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    You have a point there although sometimes we don't know that we want a particular sound until we hear it. The good thing about trying different pickups is that you can resell what you don't want on TalkBass and keep it a relatively inexpensive experiment.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  20. gareth travis

gareth travis

Aug 19, 2017
    Fender custom shop 60s jazz pickups are worth owning once as a non- noiseless referance (and i believe would work just great for your requirements) if u don't completely love them they will be easy enough to sell on but also make a great comparative referance to any other "vintage" style set u buy ... my 5 cents Fender still do their own single coils designs well but should stay away from noiseless designs ... far better companies selling "noiseless" products for J bass