1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"J" pickups made for series use?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RoadRanger, Jul 24, 2012.

1. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Are there any "J" pickups made that have been specifically optimized for series use? I have a couple "J" style basses that I would like to permanently wire that way and thought maybe less windings of a thicker wire would be the way to go?

Another related question - the present crap pickups have the typical cheap "single wire w/ shield" wiring and I am thinkin' they would be horribly noisy wired in series with the "hot" of one connected to the "shield" of the other?

Thanks!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    y'know, i remember a few years ago finding some random gotoh jazz pickups that were for some reason only wound to like 4k each; they weren't anything great, but (thinking along the same lines as you) i put them in series and it was really nice, beefy without being muddy.

somebody like fralin could easily make a "super-underwound" set for you.

3. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yah, I wuz thinkin' 4-6K each. So, nobody makes something like that as a "stock" product? Maybe time to rig up a winder for myself :cool: .

4. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    ^ Thanks! Those might do :) .