Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J Pickups w Alnico V Mags - Got em Dirt Cheap (u can too)!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hello,

I just picked up a set of J pickups (bridge and neck) with "Alnico V" magnets in them for $32 shipped brand new (he may have more of these, link here ---> PUPS ).

I remember reading here that these magnets are used in a good bit of aftermarket pups and older, vintage U.S. spec J original pups and than a lot of people recommended them.

I'm putting them in my cheap. low budget project bass (got a used, but literally like new maple quilted SX J bass off another TBer for $115 shipped). I also bought a nice heavy duty bridge (looks like a Badass II at less than half the price) and a killer pealoid pickguard for it.

Anyway, these PUPs gotta sound better than the harsh POS ceramics that came with the SX I hope (ceramics also come in the MIM Fender's J''s I'm told vs Alnico's in MIA J's). I also read here on the forum that Mighty Mite (the ones that I got with the Alnico's) make replacement pups for Fender.

Just thought I'd pass this deal along to other TBer's looking for a potentially cheap, but good PUP upgrade. :D

Thoughts, opinions???

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Can't go wrong for $32. The NJ4SE's I recently bought have Alnico magnets in them too.

-Mike

3. Quadzilla

and what did those cost? Thanks!

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    $220 new, but I got mine from another TB'er for $90.

-Mike

5. Quadzilla

Thanks guys! I doubt the pups that come in the SX's are even of MIM J quality but heck, if they do end up sounding better than these Alnico MM's I bought, then I'll gladly sell the new ones, that's for sure. I'll keep you posted.

Anybody else with opinions on alnicos vs ceramics?

6. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Bump.

I'm seriously interested in putting a pair of these in my '96 MIM. How'd they do for you?

7. Quadzilla

In my opinion, yes they sounded better, but it's all in what kind of sound you are after. I prefer a vintage jazz sound. The Mighty Mights gave me that. The stock SX pups were harsher, prob better for metal, etc. The Mighty Mites were not a perfect fit on the neck pickup. I had to drill new holes on the body for both and the neck pup was very tight in the pickguard. It fit, but the pickguard really needed to be altered (enlarged a little) to properly accept the pickup. Good luck!