1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J-PUP`s to go with J-retro

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by judas jedermann, Jan 10, 2005.

1. I have a Fender J-bass from the late 70`s with badass 2 bridge and J-retro preamp. The original pup`s work quite well with J-retro but I`m pretty sure that there are lot`s of better pup`s waiting for me. What I need is growl, punch and more lo-end support than original ones gives. My usual playing position is bridge pup.

And the nominees are:
    Lindy Fralin
    Dimarzio Ultra J
    Fender Custom shop 60`s J
    Basslines hot SJB-2
    Basslines Antiquity 2 J

What would be your choise?
    Any advices and opinions are more than welcome. Thanks...

2. I use the Ultra Jazz and love them. That being said I would I would probably try the Fralins or the SD Antiquities in that older bass.

The Ultra Jazz have a slightly more modern sound to my ears.

3. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I installed Duncan Antiquity II's in my MIM 60's Jazz and it really does that Jazz growl. Fat and noise cancelling. I love 'em.

4. Thanks for both of you for answering. I`ve been thinking about those SD Antiquity 2 but haven`t got a chance to try them. Is it true that the Ultra jazz don`t have so much low end?

5. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Fralins, a little underwound. I've used Fralins, Duncan Antiquities, and Barlolinis with J-Retro preamps, and the Fralins worked best.

6. I used UltraJazz, and replaced them with Antiquities for a bit more "vintage" sort of sound. Really, any of those pups are gonna give you good results.

7. I just got and installed/upgraded my mim mutant fender (gotoh 201 bridge, shaller tuners) with some dimarzio model j's from bestbassgear.com, I put a bart 2 band pre as well, but that took some drilling and chiseling. Compared to the stock pups, i couldn't evangelize them any more, thats with the pre bypassed. Someone did some heavy j pup testing on here, i can't remember the posters name, maybe someone else reading this can. Thats why I bought the model j's, the guy who was doing the testing talked them up quite a bit, and he was definitely right imho. FYI, the only reason i got the onboard pre was because i play on other peoples gear half the time and wanted to still be able to get some tones I liked without fiddling with their knobularity. Good luck.

8. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    I'm good at pickups ...

"I've lost my phone number ... can I have yours?"

9. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    PEN15 is the most important thing ... I love PEN15

10. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I put some Barts on my jazz bass.

They nailed the sound I wanted. Really smooth with lots of low end punch and a bright top end.

Very versatile too.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i didnt like my J-Retro with my Ultra Jazz pups. even with the tone at unity, the sound was too mid sucked to project thru the mix. had MUCH better results with a set of Lindy Fralins.

but that's not to say the ultra jazz arent good pickups. on the contrary, for me, i couldnt really find an onboard preamp that sounded good with 'em. they seem to like being left alone.