Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-PUP`s to go with J-retro

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by judas jedermann, Jan 10, 2005.

1. I have a Fender J-bass from the late 70`s with badass 2 bridge and J-retro preamp. The original pup`s work quite well with J-retro but I`m pretty sure that there are lot`s of better pup`s waiting for me. What I need is growl, punch and more lo-end support than original ones gives. My usual playing position is bridge pup.

And the nominees are:
    Lindy Fralin
    Dimarzio Ultra J
    Fender Custom shop 60`s J
    Basslines hot SJB-2
    Basslines Antiquity 2 J

What would be your choise?
    Any advices and opinions are more than welcome. Thanks...

2. I use the Ultra Jazz and love them. That being said I would I would probably try the Fralins or the SD Antiquities in that older bass.

The Ultra Jazz have a slightly more modern sound to my ears.

3. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I installed Duncan Antiquity II's in my MIM 60's Jazz and it really does that Jazz growl. Fat and noise cancelling. I love 'em.

4. Thanks for both of you for answering. I`ve been thinking about those SD Antiquity 2 but haven`t got a chance to try them. Is it true that the Ultra jazz don`t have so much low end?

5. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Fralins, a little underwound. I've used Fralins, Duncan Antiquities, and Barlolinis with J-Retro preamps, and the Fralins worked best.

6. I used UltraJazz, and replaced them with Antiquities for a bit more "vintage" sort of sound. Really, any of those pups are gonna give you good results.

7. I just got and installed/upgraded my mim mutant fender (gotoh 201 bridge, shaller tuners) with some dimarzio model j's from bestbassgear.com, I put a bart 2 band pre as well, but that took some drilling and chiseling. Compared to the stock pups, i couldn't evangelize them any more, thats with the pre bypassed. Someone did some heavy j pup testing on here, i can't remember the posters name, maybe someone else reading this can. Thats why I bought the model j's, the guy who was doing the testing talked them up quite a bit, and he was definitely right imho. FYI, the only reason i got the onboard pre was because i play on other peoples gear half the time and wanted to still be able to get some tones I liked without fiddling with their knobularity. Good luck.

8. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    I'm good at pickups ...

"I've lost my phone number ... can I have yours?"

9. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    PEN15 is the most important thing ... I love PEN15

10. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I put some Barts on my jazz bass.

They nailed the sound I wanted. Really smooth with lots of low end punch and a bright top end.

Very versatile too.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i didnt like my J-Retro with my Ultra Jazz pups. even with the tone at unity, the sound was too mid sucked to project thru the mix. had MUCH better results with a set of Lindy Fralins.

but that's not to say the ultra jazz arent good pickups. on the contrary, for me, i couldnt really find an onboard preamp that sounded good with 'em. they seem to like being left alone.