j pup suggestion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hensonbass, Dec 13, 2005.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a 74 jazz bass w/ maple fingerboard that I'm thinking about modifying with some replacement pickups. I feel right now it is a little scooped in the mids and I can't get a very punchy tone when I lean on the bridge (ala Jaco). Obviously this bass is in it's zone when slapped but I prefer to do that kind of playing on my Lakland 55-94.

I want my jazz to be used for recording situations where the engineer is expecting a great vintage j sound. The live aspect is not as important because my Lakland is my main all tone/style bass.

What pickups out there should I focus on to get my jazzbass to sing? Also, how much difference does a jazz sound with a rosewood board? Is that part of my problem with this bass?
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Try taking a look at the J-pup review threads which are in the sticky here above...
    Lots and lots of J-pups reviews there.

3. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I just found a Lindy Fralin jazz pu set used. I really hope there will be an improvement over my stock 74 pup.
  4. I would never change out the pups on a original 74.. but if you want.. Lindy Fralin is the way to go for vintage..

Edit. you could also get seymour duncan vintage.. they're kinda punchy.. and vintage :)