1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J pup to sound like P?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Mar 11, 2009.

1. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    If you somehow split the wiring of a j pup into two and connect it all in series (somewhat like a p), will it sound somewhat like a p?

If that makes sense...
    :meh:

I want to put a p pup where the j neck pup is. But i thought if this is possible, it may save me cutting out holes in the body and buying new pickguard.

2. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    There are lots of split coil J pickups out there. I'm sure the impedances will be different than the two halves of a typical P-Bass pickup, but since there's really no "one P-Bass sound", I'd say it'd get you pretty close.

KO

3. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Agreed, lots of pickups out there have split coils, however that doesn't make them sound like a P. One of the biggest keys to the P-bass sound is its location, with half the coils closer to the neck and the other half closer to the bridge. This is physically impossible to with any pickup in a J-size housing. Its more feasible with a soapbar housing since there is more room to put the coils side-by-side.

That doesn't mean you can't get closer to a P-bass tone utlizing the idea you suggested above. Just as long as you understand that you won't get all the way there with a Jazz-sized p/u...unless you are after the single-coil P-bass tone.

4. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Dimarzio Model J neck pickup in the humbucking mode will get you very close. (That and some flatwound strings).

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Actually, it's not the side-by-side position that makes the P sound. It's something called the "magnetic aperture", combined with the overall distance from the bridge. J pickups are tall and narrow, which causes the magnetic field to sense the higher harmonics more fully. P pickups are short and wide, which gives more emphasis to the lower frequencies.

That's the layman's explanation of it, but my point is that a narrow-aperture pickup is going to have a hard time emulating a wide-aperture pickup.

Now, many here have been happy with installing a push/pull to switch the two J pickups from parallel to series. Apparently series mode gives a decent approximation of a P-bass.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yep, I tried it, CT.
    That wiring modification (series/parallel)/schematic should be floating around here.
    Honestly, years ago, I had one of my Jazz basses modified to do this...I ended up putting it back. IIRC, too much of the Jazz bass' quality was compromised. YMMV.

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm one of those guys who swears by series wiring on a Jazz Bass. I have both of mine wired series/parallel with push-pull pots, and haven't used the parallel mode, on either bass, for years now. (But... it's nice to have it... just in case... I guess...) ;)

8. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yep, I have Jag Bass that does both Series and Parallel. I am really digging the P/U's in series. Alot closer to a P Bass in sound. Not exactly like it by any means but very very cool sound none the less.

9. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Im not looking at wiring both pups in series, just the neck pickup. I like the combination of pj, the boom and warmth of the p and the growl-mids of the bridge j. Im not necessarily wanting to get a p sound solo'd, just its warmth together with the j.

Thoughts?

10. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Not possible with a true single-coil. You'll have to find a split-coil or stacked-coil J-sized pickup.

11. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    So theres no way to wire one standard j as two in series?

12. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Nope. You can't wire a single single coil pickup in series.

Plus the aperture thing is spot on. A P pickup is located in a different spot and covers a wider area of the string. This means that it has a wider frequency range that it puts out than a single J pickup. The P pickup has a wider frequency response in the low mids due to its wider apeture (the wider response) and its location (low mids). The neck pickup on a J gets more actual lows, but the apeture it has is narrow enough that it doesn't get into the low mids where the P pickup is located. The bridge J is located WAY closer to the bridge and thus is far brighter than a P.

The closer you get to the bridge, the further up the frequency spectrum the pickup is usually going to be voiced.

13. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    +1