J pups setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steve2, Jul 19, 2002.

1. steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I have pup a set of customshop 60's on my MIM j bass and yesterday I noticed that the bridge pup did not have the volume like the neck pup did. Also it is quiet a bit further away from the strings compared to the neck pup. What is the ideal distance they should be from the strings.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm not thinking it's the "distance."

Your bridge acts as a "node" and thereby causes your strings to have less elliptical rotation where they're closer to the bridge, (a.k.a., "less info for the pickup to read"/"less output").

Neck single coils, like your J pups, always produce more output because they aren't "damped" by the bridge nearly as much.

Personally, I forget all this anal-retentive, micrometer-worshipping, spark plug gap tool, stuff. I take the pups up to where they actually come into contact with the strings as I play and back them down to a satisfactory point.

I would advise you about the pickup-string distance, but I don't know how, or if, your fretboard is crowned/radiused. On the old Fenders I'm used to, the saddles on the A and/or D are higher because those strings hover over the highest points of the fretboard - where it is "crowned" (at its highest point).....in the middle of the fretboard.

On the almost flat fretboard I use most of the time now, the pickup height is closer to the D and G since the fretboard is almost flat and the string diameter is smaller.
  3. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i concur

if you fancy looking at some set-up figures, there's some info for jazzes here

although i really just played with the height 'till i was happy after i changed my jazz p-ups.

let us know how you get on.
  4. steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    My bridge pickup was a good 1/4 inch below the string. I broght it to about 1/8 inch. I left the neck pup just like it was about 3/16 inch. Everything is more balanced now. Thanks for the link.