1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

j pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    i asked this in the warwick thread, but that thread is so massive i think people just by-pass it...

does a coil-tapped twin j pickup sound inferior to a true single j pickup? or is it the case that the twin j really does offer a humbucking sound you can coil tap to produce as good a single j sound as any other single j?

2. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    If you mean a side-by-side double coil J, like a DiMarzio Model J, you can't tap those for single coil operation. Think of a P bass pickup. Each coil is picking up two strings. If you switch off one coil, you wont hear those two strings.

But you really don't need to either. Technically it is a single coil pickup, because none of the strings are picked up by both coils at the same time, as on a regular humbucker, like a Music Man pickup.

The two coils are for hum cancelation.

They do sound pretty much just like a single coil J pickup. They might be slightly different because each coil is smaller. But all the ones I have heard sound very good and don't hum when used solo.

Now as I said, you can't switch them to single coil operation, but you can wire them up for series/parallel operation, witch would give you two different tones.