Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

j-raj :: Bassist for "Jake Sharp Band"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by James Hart, Sep 20, 2005.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey Check this out! My partner-in-groove here in "Bassists [BG]" hooked me up with some linkage to his Jazz thang's demo. I twisted his arm and he let me share it with y'all :bassist:

I'm really digging the tunes... The bass sounds great!

She
    Will and Oh Well
    Tones for T-Bones
    Sun Warms It

Maybe we can get j-raj to give the studio breakdown?
    What basses? What amps / mics / DI?
    How and where recorded?

Maybe even give us a little info / history on the band? (you cats need a website!)

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great stuff. I'd love to hear about his bass and how he recorded it. It really fits well in this context being an electric bass. That's hard to do. Very nice! Great playing and ideas all around. I like the 3rd one best.

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I listened to his stuff last week and finally sent him an IM...

I thought his stuff was great as well.....the cool part is that he can play and he's such a cool person too.... there are not many like that around...

:)

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have to agree j-raj definately has skills,his bass playing is very nice and he seems to only give each song what it needs no less or no more therefore j-raj I would just like to say keep doing what you do.

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Very Nice j-raj! I really like Sun Warms, but all are great. Talented AND a super nice guy!

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dead on! Many of us get into the chops and miss a lot of what the music is about (me included). His playing has a nice Steve Swallow feel to it.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow! thanx guys!! It is really a blast playing with Jake... great writer and cool cat as well.

As for the specifics of the recording methods used, I'll try to remember what I can...

First off these four and the other 7 tunes on the album were recorded at Ledge7 Studios in Dallas, GA. The recording engineer is a talented cat by the name of Tony Copley.

What Tony did for my signal/s was use two tracks, one with my bass plugged into a DI (can't remember which kind) then into a Grace Design Model 801 Preamp to the board. The other track was done by having my Aguilar GS112 mic'd by B.L.U.E. Baby Bottle (1 foot away, @ 2 o'clock on the speaker, 4 inches in from the edge). The mic'd signal is then going into that Grace Design Model 801 pre as well. The Pre and Power amp I used into the Aguilar GS112 was my trusty V-Type/PLX 1602 rig.

What Tony recorded it on was the ProTools HD (w/ a Focusrite board) set up and saved on a LaCie firewire drive.

...As for the bass I used, it was my blue one. :D (I'm really due for a new bass)!

.... It's true, we really need a website, hmm. :eyebrow:

Thanks again!

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    very cool! I can't wait to hear the rest of it.

10. Very Cool. I also have to say that j-raj is a terrific guy. Top notch. Great player. What a smooth walking line on the last one. Very well voiced.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I really enjoyed this J-Raj :)

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Is the CD available at CDbaby, or a web site? I want to support the cause......linky please :)

.....sounds great from my dialup!!

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I had to download them at work, load onto my MP3 player and take home :smug: my home dialup connection is KILLING me!

14. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    j-raj,

Sounds great. I've been diggin on all 4 tracks while working tonight. Very nice vibe. The lower register of your bass sounds fantastic through headphones.

Nice work!

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That was great stuff! It was groovy and dark (not Bitches Brew-type ominous dark....good dark) yet it retained warmth. I really liked it!

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Yes, dark in a good way! I hate explaining how music sounds to me, words just don't always mean what I think they should once someone else hears/reads them.

Once again, excelent job j-raj! y'all need to do a little tour up the coast so I can catch you live!

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    thanks uglyc, jerry, BT, sped....

Really love to hear feeback and stuff like this... especially after an odd gig-weekend and a mess load of car probs (starter on the V-Dub is shot... so is the wallet!), thx!

I hear ya, that stuff usually only sounds like it makes sense to me, then when descriptions of other's tunes and such leave my mouth... cats usually turn-around and say to me: "what'd you say, J? :scowl:
    :D

Yeah I'd love to tour the east coast... from my stomping grounds in Boston to ATL...and points in-between! Hopefully that will be a reality sometime soon.

...or y'all could make it down for the webcast/'fo-real' CD-release/Jami's and Mine's B-day party on November 18th at the Five Spot...
    :D

18. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Sounds great! Very refreshing original tunes and I like the bass.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I really like The Sun Warms It! Great job!

20. I feel bad for not posting anything earlier. This stuff is incredible. It sounds like the kind of music I have been trying to get out of my head, and on to disc for years. Do you guys play "jazz" clubs or more mainstream type places and how well do you go over in front of these crowds?