J retro and Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Feb 12, 2005.

1. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hey all

If I were to put a J-Retro into a Marcus Miller Jazz what would it do to the tone?I've seen one for sale with one in it

Mike O Connell
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have a J-Retro in my MIA Jazz. The option of switching from active to passive is great. When I flick the J-Retro on, I can dial in a few more sounds. I can get this deep growl, and a thunderous bottom end. For me, it really opens up the Jazz.

3. With the Marcus, you ever have the Active/passive switch!!
    But I don't know what is a J Retro!! Help??

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Onboard preamp made in England by a guy named John East. Here is a link to his site so you can read all about it: J-Retro

5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Steve "Dude" Barr makes a custom fitted J Retro Deluxe in a Marcus Miller IV pickguard. You should be able to find out about it at www.thedudepit.com which I think has forums for all the gear he sells. IIRC he is the US distributor or something for the John East preamps. I am not sure if the Marcus model is from John East or is made by Steve himself.
  6. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Yes I know but how would it effect the Bass' tone?
  7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I put the Marcus Retros together myself using John East's preamps (J-Retro Deluxe w/passive tone) mounted in a MM control plate I get made up by Roger at Jeannie Pickguards.

I don't want to violate the new anti-spam rules around here so if you'd like to know more you can PM me ok?