1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J retro and Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Feb 12, 2005.

1. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hey all

If I were to put a J-Retro into a Marcus Miller Jazz what would it do to the tone?I've seen one for sale with one in it
    Thanks

Regards
    Mike O Connell

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have a J-Retro in my MIA Jazz. The option of switching from active to passive is great. When I flick the J-Retro on, I can dial in a few more sounds. I can get this deep growl, and a thunderous bottom end. For me, it really opens up the Jazz.

-Mike

3. With the Marcus, you ever have the Active/passive switch!!
    But I don't know what is a J Retro!! Help??

Vince

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Onboard preamp made in England by a guy named John East. Here is a link to his site so you can read all about it: J-Retro

-Mike

5. Thanks,

I Check!!

Vince

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Steve "Dude" Barr makes a custom fitted J Retro Deluxe in a Marcus Miller IV pickguard. You should be able to find out about it at www.thedudepit.com which I think has forums for all the gear he sells. IIRC he is the US distributor or something for the John East preamps. I am not sure if the Marcus model is from John East or is made by Steve himself.

7. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Yes I know but how would it effect the Bass' tone?

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I put the Marcus Retros together myself using John East's preamps (J-Retro Deluxe w/passive tone) mounted in a MM control plate I get made up by Roger at Jeannie Pickguards.

I don't want to violate the new anti-spam rules around here so if you'd like to know more you can PM me ok?

Thanks!