Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-Retro/DiMarzio Model J Install Problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MatW, Apr 4, 2003.

1. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I got my Geddy Lee Jazz back from the shop today after having DiMarzio Model Js and a J-Retro fitted, but after half an hour of joy I discovered a worrying problem.

Why can't things ever go right for me? :mad:

Basically when the neck pickup is soloed there's virtually no output from the 'D' & 'G' strings. Weird, huh? The 'E' & 'A' seem fine although I'm tempted to say that the output is too high, almost to the point of distortion. I've had a look at the wiring and I can't see anything wrong. I should point out that the bridge pickup is fine. It's just that there's no output on the 'D' & 'G' strings from the neck pickup.

What I'd like to establish is what's wrong, the pickup, the j-retro or is it simply the manner in which it's been installed. I'd be very grateful if anyone could help because I don't want to have to resort to soldering and unsoldering at random. I bought the pickups and j-retro via mail order so I've got a lot of hassle in front of me if there's a component failure, but I just want my bass to work properly.

I'll post some pictures in a minute.

I hope someone can help.

Mat

2. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Picture 1

3. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Picture 2

Notice how all the ground wires are soldered to a metal plate. I thought they were all supposed to be soldered together and then insulated? I'm hopeless at wiring :(

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Did you check the DC resistance of the pickups before the install? Is so, what were the readings?

5. The D-side coil might be grounding out. Are the pickups internally wired in series, or parallel?

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I think the first answer is: take it back to the shop! It's their job to fix it. Don't try to fix it yourself, you paid themto do it right the first time.

7. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Just to wrap it up, I spoke to John East from J-Retro and we believed it to be a faulty pickup. I confirmed this yesterday when I took out the neck pickup and reinstalled the old one. Hey presto, it all worked!

The agents from DiMarzio in the UK are going to swap it out for me, and I'll have a go at fixing it back myself.

The point about the shop is fair, but I supplied them all the components so if one was faulty it's not really their fault. Although, I am annoyed that they didn't spot the problem before handing me back the bass.

I'd like to point out that I sent an email to John East of J-Retro asking for help, and I put down my address and phone number so he'd know that I was a genuine customer. I didn't know if I'd get any response, but he actually called me on the phone 5 minutes after sending the email. Furthermore, he's offered to do the wiring for me free of charge. His workshop's 30 miles away from me, but I'll probably do this myself.

Needless to say, I think this is EXCELLENT customer service, and I can't recommend the j-retro enough.