Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-Retro? I need to go active

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zirc, May 8, 2002.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I currently have a MIM Jazz with a BADASS Bass II Bridge and I need to get active electronics in this thing. I've heard that a J-Retro preamp is good. Can someone elaborate on this?

BTW, What I'm looking for is a punchy tone with a lot of bass in the punch. Basically I want the growl of a MM Stingray pickup.

Any info on this would be MOST helpful.

My planned budget for this project is $200-300, but I can always spend more if convinced.

2. The Dudepit has a forum dedicated to the J-retro. I have heard nothing bad about the j-retro. you can check out the different types and talk to the guys who make it and ask them any questions you may have. if you want easy installation and maximum versatility, i think it's the way to go.

3. Yes, most excellent pre amp. I have a mim jazz with one installed, I wont leave home without it., check out the dudepit.
    eddie

4. How about a set of DiMarzio J pickups driving a J-Retro?

The DiMarzios seem to have the winner's seat for ballsy growl. The J-Retro will bring out the very best in a passive pickup.

5. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The regular J-Retro doesn't have a tone control?! How can they manage that?

Also, the one with a tone control doesn't have a jack hole, ***?!

6. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The regular J-Retro does not have tone controls when operating in PASSIVE mode only. The passive mode is only meant to get you by in case your battery goes dead in the middle of a gig. In active mode you have bass, sweepable mid and treble controls.

The J-Retro Deluxe model adds the passive tone control but requires a side mounted input jack because of the added knobs in the plate.

Definetly awesome little preamps ...

7. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The regular J-Retro does not have tone controls when operating in PASSIVE mode only. The passive mode is only meant to get you by in case your battery goes dead in th middle of a gig. In active mode you have bass, sweepable mid and treble controls.

The J-Retro Deluxe model adds the passive tone control but requires a side mounted input jack because of the added knobs in the plate.

Definetly awesome little preamps ...

8. Ditto

:D

9. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I don't see a tone control on the plate in the pictures.

All I see is a Mid - Boost & Cut, Mid - Frequency, Bass - Boost, Treble - Boost & Cut, Volume, and Blend.

Where is the tone knob?

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Tone knob would be in the fourth hole where the output jack is. Only on the Deluxe.

11. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Bass, mid and treble boost/cut are the tone controls!! Or more accurately stated ... Three band EQ.

12. The J-retro is the one!! I've got one and it's the best preamp I've ever played. The Unit contains two preamps, one for each pickup, which means that when both pickups are on full, the sound does'nt lose it's balls and clarity due to one pickup loading down the other, as is the case with most other preamps, and passive Jazz basses. Also the bass booster lowers the frequency, the more you apply it. The treble knob boosts at 3khz while cutting at 1khz, giving a sweet, clear treble, and by pulling up the treble knob, you activate a 7khz boost, good for livening up dead strings. The sweepable midrange is very useful too. Very easy to install too, although you do need some good soldering skills.