J-Retro in MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chace90, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Has anyone on here ever taken a MIM Fender Jazz and put in a J-retro? Would this work or sound decent? I would think it's possible but I don't know the differences between the MIA and MIM if there is any huge ones. I'm looking for a second cheaper bass but want more flexibility than just a volume, blend, and tone knob. The J-Retro fill the void nicely I think.
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Possible and then some! I haven't done it, but I've played some MIMs that have had it done. It will make your MIM jazz your main bass, judging from your profile.

I've got one in a MIA Jazz, and I've ordered two more - one for my Moses necked custom jazz, and one for my Warmoth jazz fretless.

And later I'll probably order two more - one for a 6 string I've got but I'm not using, and one for my old Kramer Spector. (are you listening, Steve?:D )
  3. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    well i've got an American Jazz Deluxe V on the way but I need a backup that will sound similar and just as good. That would be the main reason for buying cheaper MIM 4 string and putting in the J-Retro to have similar sound.
  4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    a better option might be to get either a sadowsky or aggie pre so you could use it on your other basses as well. thats just me. hell the sadowsky even acts a s a HIGH quality di too
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm hoping the J-retro pedal hits soon so's I don't have to buy a case of the pre's...should be anytime now. It's been in the works for a while, according to the Dude's page.

Looking forward to trying it on all my basses.
    I'm sure it won't quite be the same as wiring one internally, but we'll see...
  6. One of my buds has a J-Retro in his MIM. Complete killer solution.

I have one for my RB5, but not installed yet. Requires custom modifications, pick guard, etc.