Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-Retro/Lakland question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 20db pad, Jul 31, 2003.

1. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've done a search and can't recall it being discussed on the net that much - can a J-Retro preamp drop right into a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne?

I recall hearing that the stock JO control plate and the plate that comes with a J-Retro are of different dimensions. Has anyone who has done this mod fill me in?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Check at DudePit... Dude has sold quite a few Laklands fitted with J-Retro, but I am not sure if that was a special version of a J-Retro.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I don't know the details, but my understanding is that there is some issue. Steve "Dude" Barr would know all the details. The best place to ask about this is in the J Retro forum at The Dudepit http://www.thedudepit.com

I own one of the Dudepit Limited Edition Joe Osborns that are equipped with a J Retro. My understanding is that they actually mounted the J Retro into JO control plates instead of the plates that they normally come with. Please ask the Dude for details. He is the US distributor of J Retros.

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Maybe I'm way, way off - I was under the impression it was bad form to post in the Lakland and J-Retro boards at the Dudepit if you were not a previous customer. I have yet to do business with Steve, and I don't want to step on any toes.

I can always get Dude on the phone if I'm ready to make a purchase right away.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I think you are quite 'safe' in posting whatever questions you may have over there..it's a friendly and knowledgable bunch.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Try emailing Dan Lakin at the Lakland site and asking him.

When I bought my Skyline JO5 I asked BassNW have have Dan install the J-Retro. They did an excellent job with mine, and I'm sure that he'll give you some assistance.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You are always welcome to post pre-sales question on the Dudepit. Many people do it and I have never seen it discouraged.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yep, the Dude and the dudepitters are all cool cats. They'll lend some assistance.

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Post away on The Pit...sorry...I don't get out much so if you have a question the best place to ask it is over there ok?

10. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    As the manufacturer of the Retro I can tell you I supplied the electronic pieces without plates for the Dudepit Limited Edition Joe Os.

So I'm not sure what differences there are between the Lakland plates and my own.

I'll contact Dan to see if I can find out.

John

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    They are slightly different John. Your plates would not match up well with the pickguards.

That's why the units for Lakland are ordered without the plates.

You should have the control plate template over in the UK for the Darryl Jones Signatures plus in that same package you have a repair unit that is mounted on a Lakland Skyline plate (Out of a DPLE) so you have one of the Skyline plates there as well so you can compare them.

AFAIK the problem only exists with the Skyline JO plates and not the USA JO plates.