J-Retro on a Geddy!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Dec 10, 2002.

1. RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, Has anyone out there fitted a J-Retro to a Geddy bass? How did it sound? Any photo's?

2. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I personally have not but I know a few poeple that have with awesome results. The JRetro is a nice drop in preamp with no mods for Fender P&J basses. You could probably find more info aver at The Dude Pit http://pub41.ezboard.com/bthedudepit
    Steve Barr is a JRetro dealer
  3. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I don't have any photos handy, but it looks REAL sharp in the Geddy. It's all chrome, so it makes for a real classy cosmetic upgrade on the black body.

Soundwise, I like it too, with some minor complaints. On the low end, the J-Retro made my Jazz sound so huge, it's unreal. Tons and TONS of deep, chest pounding bass response even with the bass in the middle indent position. There's also a sweepable midrange control, which is helpful if you would like to add a tad more mid on the fly. The high end of the preamp is what I dislike the most. The treble control needs to be at the middle indent or lower, or else I get some audible hiss. I also think that even at the middle indent position, the bass gets a little clicky on the notes, especially if you like to dig in, which I definitely do at times. I just think the high end spectrum of the preamp could have been worked a bit more. It's probably well suited for slapping, but I don't slap much, so the trebly edge on this preamp doesn't really do it for me. On some basses maybe, but not this one.

Other than that, I've been pleased with the unit, and have no plans to ever replace it. I have another Geddy which I left unaltered, which still makes for a great passive Jazz anyday. The J-Retro also has a passive toggle should your battery ever die at a bad time.
  4. RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Which online Music store is selling the Geddy Bass at a very low price? ($500) Please note i live in the UK so it would have 2 b a shop that did worldwide shipping. Any Second-hand ones going online? (Don't say Ebay)
  5. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If you want to see photos, check my '75 Jazz (link is in my signature). My bass is not Geddy Lee, but J-Retro did wonders for it.

Re. the treble, I completely shielded my Jazz before popping the J-Retro in, so I don't have any hiss, even though I am using single coil Fender CS '60s pups.
  6. Mine does'nt hiss, even with single coils it's quiet as. I got mine from Steve Barr too.
    One point which is major, and people forget about, is that the J-retro has TWO buffer preamps, one for each pickup, where most others only have one. What this means is that when both pups are on full, there is no loss of quality compared to when one pup is favoured, which is the case with most other preamps. This fact alone makes it worth the money for me, as I prefer the sound of both pups on full.
  7. . . . but the J-retro's bass control is actually boost-only. I know it's weird that there's a center detent on a boost-only knob, but I ain't makin' this up!

So when you've got the bass control centered, you're actually boosting the bass quite a bit -- hence the "chest-pounding bass" reported above!
  8. I love mine and I'll second everything seamus said. Here's a pic:
  9. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Im thinking of getting one, how much do they go for?
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

My best advice for someone with a bass that they are not happy with the preamp, contact Sadowsky guitars in NYC and order a preamp/di. It will work with passive basses and it is also great when active basses have a passive bypass switch. The sound is always round, smooth, and never harsh or clacky. It also has a di out, tuner out and a mute switch all in a floor mounted pedal. You avoid altering your present bass and saving it's resale. The Sadowsky sound rules!:D

11. tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    The idea of an outboard preamp like Sadowsky makes a lot of sense to me. I've read good things about the Fodera preamp too. Of the onboard preamps I've tried (J-Retro isn't one of them), I prefer those with boost/cut capability vs. those that just boost.