J-Retro owners/ Question on gain?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

I have a bass with a Jretro there is a tremendous amount of gain with every thing set flat and the trim pots down is this normal?

2. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I ran into the same issue with both my MTD 535 and my J-RETROed Skyline JO5. The MTD's B and E would clip my GK 1001's preamp when I first received it. So, I turned down the internal volume trim pot down to a level that was hotter than passive basses, but would not clip my head's preamp.

When I bought by J-RETROed Skyline, I found that the level was different than my MTD 535, F Bass, and active Fender Jazz. Thus, if I took two basses to a gig, they had different gain structures and it would force me to to make amp adjustments whenever I switched basses.

One day I set out to "even things out" between all my basses. Using just my ear, I set the internal trim pots for my active basses so that they are slightly hotter than a passive bass, and each bass has a consistent volume when compared to each other with bass's volume control is dimed. This has worked well for me, but may not be a suitable "fix" for others.