Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-Retro owners/ Question on gain?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

I have a bass with a Jretro there is a tremendous amount of gain with every thing set flat and the trim pots down is this normal?

AJ

2. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
  3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Andrew,

I ran into the same issue with both my MTD 535 and my J-RETROed Skyline JO5. The MTD's B and E would clip my GK 1001's preamp when I first received it. So, I turned down the internal volume trim pot down to a level that was hotter than passive basses, but would not clip my head's preamp.

When I bought by J-RETROed Skyline, I found that the level was different than my MTD 535, F Bass, and active Fender Jazz. Thus, if I took two basses to a gig, they had different gain structures and it would force me to to make amp adjustments whenever I switched basses.

One day I set out to "even things out" between all my basses. Using just my ear, I set the internal trim pots for my active basses so that they are slightly hotter than a passive bass, and each bass has a consistent volume when compared to each other with bass's volume control is dimed. This has worked well for me, but may not be a suitable "fix" for others.