J-retro + passive jazz p-ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chris h, Mar 13, 2003.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Would the j-retro work with the standard p-ups found on the mim jazz? im making a custom bass and was wondering. cheers
  2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    lol, cheers. probably a stupid question. So would they also work with emg active p-ups? Would that offer more tone? also, on the j-retro site, in the 'installation' page, i noticed you have to solder 3 ground wires, but does not say what to do with them. I didnt think you had to ground active pickups, so would this not be nessesary if i used my emg's?

Forgive my ignorance
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yes, you can use EMGs. You won't get 'more' tone, just different tone, which you may or may not prefer. Re. ground wires, active or passive, pups need to be grounded.
  4. If your thinking of upgrading your pickups, do yourself a favor and try the J Retro with the stock pickups first as you might find that you dont need new ones.
  5. I have a J-Retro and 2002 MIM J fretless.

The J-Retro is a marvelous bit of precision electronics and does wonderful things for stock pickups.

The 2002 and newer models use the standard-sized Jazz pickups. I replaced them with DiMarzio Model J types because I wanted the hum cancelling feature of the DM pickups. I do a lot of bridge-solo playing, and the MIM pickups are far too noisy. The DM also offer the four-wire Series/Parallel wiring capability, similar to the Fender RB5.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love my J-Retro / Dimarzio Ultra J combo.

Kickin' SLAP tone.
  7. +1
    got the j retro problem sorted now?
    been some time since you were over in the mad house
    life treating you ok
  8. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Yes but you can always get better passive pickups too and then you'd really have something. IME stock MIM Fender pickups are nothing special, so if you're going custom anyways...
  9. The instructions that came with my EMG-J set said not to reconnect the ground wire......i don't know if this applies to all active pickups, or if it changes when you add active electronics, but mine didn't need a ground.
  10. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Yeah, mine said that too. I guess you wouldnt ground them from the retro either then?
  11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I used to play all USA & Czech Spectors (all with premium EMGs) and none of them had ground wires going to the bridge (or anywhere else).
  12. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    You don't ground EMGs.

Now unless there's something (a definate known issue) to the combination of the j-retro and Emgs that would make you do that, I wouldn't ground them.