Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-RETRO pre for my Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I am seriously considering to install it on my '78 Jazz,instead of having an outboard bartolini.

Although I've already searched for it in Talkbass threads,I couldn't find something specific.

So,is there anyone here who has it?

How does it sound??????

Hasn't it too much controls for a fender(I don't want my Fender to sound like a Fodera,or an Alembic)?

Is there a version with a passive tone control( but to tell the truth, I'd like to keep the original one)?

Please, if someone here knows something about what I'm looking for,PLEASE REPLY!!!
    Thank you very much!

;)

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    All the info you need is here:
    http://pub41.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm2

Seems like John East is definitly making a very good preamp

I'll soon offer the BTB-01 as standard pre on my basses.

Peace, JP

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Actually..there IS a thread here answering your questions already. To summerize - J-Retro Deluxe has passive tone control. Sound..well..sounds like your Jazz, but you can do a lot of shaping. It will NOT change the character of your bass, it will still sound like a Jazz Bass, and you don't need to mod the bass to install it.

I have mine in a '75 Jazz and love it.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Doesn't the Deluxe use a side output jack? That would require you to modify your bass, and you might not want to do that because of vintage value.

However, I have 2 Jretros, and had a U Retro, and will be ordering another soon. They are the greatest invention since frets! NOTHING sounds as good. Period.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    This is, of course, a matter of opinion. Admittedly, it's a widely held opinion. But I found that it did change the character of the tone on a '98 AmJ. I sold the only one I ever installed, preferring the "native" tone of the passive Fender pups.

Try to hear one before you buy, if possible.

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If you install the Deluxe version, you retain full passive operation, with tone control. In my case, my Jazz remains recognisable at all times...it just colors the tone. I am using Fender CS 60s pups.

7. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    They are the greatest invention since frets! NOTHING sounds as good. Period. [/B][/QUOTE]

WOW!It seems like a bomb by what you say!
    Listen Pacman...
    from Miller fan-to Miller fan:
    is it a proper pre-amp for marcus'style tones?
    Oh my God...what a shame!!!I'm so silly
    ...but I'm so much into marcus,I know that's my fault!Please,guys forgive my Marcus-syndrome;don't judge me as a poor emulator...:( :p :D

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I won't judge you as a poor imitator - I am the poor Marcus immitator! :D And yes, yes and yes it's great (no - perfect) or the Marcus sound! I think it nails it!

9. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    You should definitely checkout the STMP-01 version of the J-Retro. It's a external stompbox that gives you all the flexiblity of the J-Retro without having to modify your bass in any way. It also allows you some extra output options not possible with the in-board version, such as XLR DI duties. I've been using one with a '72 Jazz and like all the possibilities it affords, the original character of the bass remains pretty much intact ....... but truth be told it's impossible to add an complex circuit to your signal path and have the tone stay exactly the same. It changes some, but it's a trade off for the EQ flexibility & extra gain you get. Overall I'm pretty happy with the unit, it does what I need it to.

The reason I went with the stompbox was that in the onboard version, if you're in passive mode , you lose the ability to blend pickups. So you should look into that as well.

Good Luck,
    Tony