J-retro preamp for Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Charlie Quatro, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Hey all,
    I'm preparing to put together a Warmoth/Status graphite Jazz clone and I'm considering using the J-retro Jazz Bass preamp.
    Since it is a part made in the UK I'm sure I'll never get to hear
    one on a bass before I buy.
    They're rather expensive at 250.00 US.

Anybody have one on their Jazz?

2. Hey Charlie,
    I've got an MIM Jazz with a J Retro, and I really like it. I prefer to use passive mode, and the J Retro gives you two options.. both pickups on full with no blend (my choice) or bridge pickup only. I should note the bass also has DiMarzio DP123s, so there's no hum. I have tried the preamp in active mode and it's very flexible and easy to use. I'm just a passive bass kind of guy.. I got the bass used with the preamp installed, and I'm glad it's on there.
  3. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I installed one on a Fender GL Jazz, and I like it a lot. I prefer it in the active mode for the EQ, which works only in the active mode, as is the case with most active/passive systems.

(G&L is about the only active/passive I can think of offhand that has operational onboard EQ in both modes.)

For a more passive groove, I switch out for my other Jazz which has no modifications. The active mode retains the sound of a Jazz IMO, but the gritty mids of a passive are noticeably cut back. This is largely attributable to the fact that the active mode 'cleans up' the signal a bit.
  4. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I have one installed in my Jazz Bass plus I changed the pick up with Fender 63 p.u. The sound is really great. I represent them in my country, I still have stock in gold colour. I can sell it for US $ 160 plus shipping.
  5. Yup - Great piece of h/w; beautifully made and makes the Jazz very easy to tailor to a variety of sounds, but retaining the original passive pick-ups. The J-Retro can be completely by-passed, so that you can maintain the original sound if necessary. An easy mod (esp if you're handy with a soldering-iron) and easy to change back to the original configuration should you ever want to sell the Jazz, but keep the J-retro.

Oh look! ...here's a pic:

Good Luck!

- Wil
  6. I use a J-Retro in my '75 Jazz and it gives you a lot of tonal flexiblity. I hear through the grapevine that Marcus Miller uses it too.

"Dude" knows a lot about this product. He is usually on TalkBass, but you can probably ask him questions directly through his site.

7. I've got one in my Jazz Bass and it really made it come alive. However, I don't use the bass that much. I'm not really a Jazz Bass kinda guy. P-Bass is where it's at for me. But, I keep that J-Bass because of the versatility that the J-Retro provides, otherwise, I'd sell it.