Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-retro preamp for Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Charlie Quatro, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Hey all,
    I'm preparing to put together a Warmoth/Status graphite Jazz clone and I'm considering using the J-retro Jazz Bass preamp.
    Since it is a part made in the UK I'm sure I'll never get to hear
    one on a bass before I buy.
    They're rather expensive at 250.00 US.

Anybody have one on their Jazz?

--C

2. Hey Charlie,
    I've got an MIM Jazz with a J Retro, and I really like it. I prefer to use passive mode, and the J Retro gives you two options.. both pickups on full with no blend (my choice) or bridge pickup only. I should note the bass also has DiMarzio DP123s, so there's no hum. I have tried the preamp in active mode and it's very flexible and easy to use. I'm just a passive bass kind of guy.. I got the bass used with the preamp installed, and I'm glad it's on there.

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I installed one on a Fender GL Jazz, and I like it a lot. I prefer it in the active mode for the EQ, which works only in the active mode, as is the case with most active/passive systems.

(G&L is about the only active/passive I can think of offhand that has operational onboard EQ in both modes.)

For a more passive groove, I switch out for my other Jazz which has no modifications. The active mode retains the sound of a Jazz IMO, but the gritty mids of a passive are noticeably cut back. This is largely attributable to the fact that the active mode 'cleans up' the signal a bit.

4. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have one installed in my Jazz Bass plus I changed the pick up with Fender 63 p.u. The sound is really great. I represent them in my country, I still have stock in gold colour. I can sell it for US $ 160 plus shipping.

5. Yup - Great piece of h/w; beautifully made and makes the Jazz very easy to tailor to a variety of sounds, but retaining the original passive pick-ups. The J-Retro can be completely by-passed, so that you can maintain the original sound if necessary. An easy mod (esp if you're handy with a soldering-iron) and easy to change back to the original configuration should you ever want to sell the Jazz, but keep the J-retro.

Oh look! ...here's a pic:
    http://www.k1wd.com/music/bass/Fender_Jazz_1.jpg

Good Luck!

- Wil

6. I use a J-Retro in my '75 Jazz and it gives you a lot of tonal flexiblity. I hear through the grapevine that Marcus Miller uses it too.

"Dude" knows a lot about this product. He is usually on TalkBass, but you can probably ask him questions directly through his site.

http://www.vintagebass.com/about.html

7. I've got one in my Jazz Bass and it really made it come alive. However, I don't use the bass that much. I'm not really a Jazz Bass kinda guy. P-Bass is where it's at for me. But, I keep that J-Bass because of the versatility that the J-Retro provides, otherwise, I'd sell it.