1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

j-retro preamp settings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by backdraft31, May 5, 2010.

1. backdraft31

backdraft31

Mar 4, 2006
    just installed a j-retro marcus o1 preamp. i was wondering of those who own them, what are some of the settings you use for your preamp?

2. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    On my J-Retro i crack the bass to max, cut all treble, crack the mid max and crack the mid freq anti clockwise max. then boost abit of low mid on the amp.

I get that deep growl tone on my jazz bass

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I tend to use it pretty much flat a lot of the time, funnily enough. I love the basic tone of the pre-amp. But dialing a bit of blend towards the bridge, boosting the lows to compensate and then pulling the treble boost up (rather than twisting the knob - different frequency boost) gives a slap tone to die for with my main bass. The sweepable mids can be very handy, too.

The J-Retro is one of those bits of gear that I would buy again without hesitation. It's a big part of what makes my favourite bass my favourite bass. And John East runs a first rate business and thoroughly deserves the support he gets, imo.

4. backdraft31

backdraft31

Mar 4, 2006
    i agree..it is a great preamp. in havent used it yet in a live gig but im sure ill be overwelmed at first...but i will get the hang of it.

5. backdraft31

backdraft31

Mar 4, 2006
    what are some of the marcus tone settings?....maybe boost bass, pull and crank treble up, dial down both mids..also how bout the passive tone knob...decent contour tool..how many of you use that option.

6. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    You have to remember that John East has made the MM Retro more to simulate that type of tone,the frequency,s are slightly different then the standard J-Retro,drop him a email and he will explain it to you,and also now to set it up,i use my retro in my usa jazz bass 5 and it,kills!!!.