Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-Retro question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by needmoney, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Hey people,

I'm contemplating getting a J-retro for my J-bass, at the moment it's all passive and all of the ground wires are soldered to a ground lug in the control cavity which is fully shielded (ala Lyle Caldwell). On the J-retro site it shows where to solder the ground wries from the pickups and the bridge ground, but I'm just wondering if it is still fine to elave the ground wires soldered to the lug, and only solder the hot wires from the pickups to the J-retro unit. I can't se any reason why this wouldn't work as the control plate is still grounding to the shielding.

Thoughts?

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I wouldn't do that. The J-retro buffer circuit is expecting both sides of the pickup signal at the inputs. You can still keep your shielding and bridge ground intact, but I would wire the pickups as per the instructions. I've rigged a few of these and there is nothing wrong with the stock installation. I can't see your alternative causing anything but problems.

Also, look into some push-on connectors for attaching the pickups, especially if your soldering skills aren't excellent. A lot of these units get damaged by having the pickup input pins melted off the board. You can use a standard 2-pin push on connector like you see on computer motherboards. Check with John East for the details if you want to go that way.

3. Thanks for that! My soldering skills are fine, but if the push on connectors offer a better connection then I'd definitely take that route, how do the pickup wires attach to the connectors?