J-Retro Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RSmith, Sep 14, 2003.

1. I have a MIA Jazz with Fender passive Lace Sensors and I'm wondering what a J-Reto would do for it.Would the bass still be passive? Any feedback would be appreciated.
  2. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Aloha RS,

I bought a Skyline Joe Osborn 5 string with a factory installed J-Reto last Xmas. And I've compared it to 6-8 passive Skyline basses since. I can tell you that the J Retro will provide you with more usable tone options than would be available from a passive bass. More low end, punchy mids, airy highs, and sizzling ultra highs depending on how you run the controls (bass, treble, pull nob / bright, and semi parametric mids).

One thing I must caution you is that you shouldn't expect to get a true passive bass tone from a J Retroed bass. It doesn't really happen, and I can't explain the tech stuff. I've A/Bed my J Retroed bass run in passive mode with several passive Skylines and there is a definite difference between the "J Retroed bass run passive" and all other passive Skylines. The developers of the J Retro intended the passive switch as a "get out of jail free card" in case your batteries died. it's not really intended to give you the "virgin passive pick up tone".

IMHO, if you want the option of making significant tone adjustments "on the fly" with a quality on-board preamp, buy the J Retro! If you're a passive bass pick up "purist" who loves the warm stock tone of a passive bass pick up, perhaps you should pass on the J Retro, you might not be happy with the passive circuit switch.

I should also mention that the regular J Retro does not have a tone control in passive mode. I believe that the Deluxe model does.
  3. Thank you sir, thats what I needed to know.
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The deluxe model only works if you have your output jack on the side not in the front, unless you wanna do some rewiring, I actually like the passive tone, but yes it is a get out of jail free card, I rarely use it compared to the active