Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-Retro Users

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbhm, Feb 23, 2006.

1. cbhm

cbhm

Apr 4, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Hey I installed a J-Retro preamp on my MIA 75 Jazz RI and I am wondering how I can achieve a passive sound with only the bridge pickup and the ton knob rolled off halfway.
    Thanks

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Since you mentioned a tone knob, I assume you bought the J-Retro Deluxe. What you mentioned (bridge pickup and partially rolled-off passive tone) is a pretty good start, although the Retro is a pretty colored preamp, meaning that it sounds like you've got a VERY active preamp in your chain, rather than the more laid-back sound of a true passive Jazz.

Your Retro does have a passive mode; have you tried that? Some people say it's fairly weak, but there should be a trim pot inside the control cavity that adjusts the passive mode gain, so you can boost it as far as it will go there. Give that a shot, and see if it gets you closer.

Also, visit the dudepit... there's a whole forum just on the J/U-Retro, and there should be tons of advice for you to check out. :)