1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J-Retro Users

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbhm, Feb 23, 2006.

1. cbhm

cbhm

Apr 4, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Hey I installed a J-Retro preamp on my MIA 75 Jazz RI and I am wondering how I can achieve a passive sound with only the bridge pickup and the ton knob rolled off halfway.
    Thanks

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Since you mentioned a tone knob, I assume you bought the J-Retro Deluxe. What you mentioned (bridge pickup and partially rolled-off passive tone) is a pretty good start, although the Retro is a pretty colored preamp, meaning that it sounds like you've got a VERY active preamp in your chain, rather than the more laid-back sound of a true passive Jazz.

Your Retro does have a passive mode; have you tried that? Some people say it's fairly weak, but there should be a trim pot inside the control cavity that adjusts the passive mode gain, so you can boost it as far as it will go there. Give that a shot, and see if it gets you closer.

Also, visit the dudepit... there's a whole forum just on the J/U-Retro, and there should be tons of advice for you to check out. :)