Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-Retro vs. Bass eq pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by aaron f., Jun 13, 2002.

1. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    I'm running a MIM Jazz with Bart 9J1's into a Sans Amp, but i find the output is low and the drive really needs to be turned up to distort (mentioned in my last post). After doing a little i research i'm looking at two options, either a bass eq pedal (probably from Boss) or popping in a J-retro preamp (seems like an easy job). What would you guys recommend? Any major +/- on either one? Are the J-Retro and Boss Eq pedals low on excess noise? Any feedback would be helpfull, Thanks.

2. J-retro, more tone shaping, and you dont lose anything, can go back to passive if necessary, and can go back to stock if you wanna sell it.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I really dislike the Boss EQ pedal I got.

Its nowhere near as good as most active preamp that are installed in basses, and from what ive heard about the J-retro, I would say that its a much better deal.

Peace
    Nick

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    With Barts, I'd go with J-Retro Deluxe (Deluxe has the passive tone option). With my Carvin R1000, it starts to give me a really nice distortion at about 70% output, tone shaping is great, and it's very easy to install.

5. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    Since the standard J retro has no passive tone control, would that mean that when it's in passive mode the tone would be all the way open (tone knob turned up all the way on a passive bass)?

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If you switch standard J-Retro to passive mode, it's like your bass has no tone control at all - you bypass everything but the passive volume pot.

With J-Retro Deluxe, in active mode, you have active tone control (cut/boost on mids and treble, boost only on bass), and in passive mode you have passive tone control (cut bass, or cut treble).

7. Actually, it would sound a little clearer without the tone knob, as it would be like the tone knob is all the way up, plus there is no pot to suck some top end off. It'll sound more pure in pasive mode.