Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-Retro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by etherbass, Oct 5, 2004.

1. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    has anyone had any experience with the J-Retro preamp? if so can you tell me what you think? im interested in putting one in my 75're-issue..

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    This preamp has been discussed a great deal. You might want to do a search. Steve "Dude" Barr sells them and has lots of info. I think you can also connect with the maker, John East via the Dudepit.

Marshall

3. etherbass,
    I have a Special Edition 75 re-issue Fender Jazz Bass,
    (Candy Apple Red) ,the one with the matching headstock.
    I installed the J- Retro, purchased it from Steve Barr.
    I think the best way to discribe it is.....with the addition of the retro, it keeps the traditional sound and then some.
    I normally run it with flat settings, then may give the bass a slight bump depending on the room.
    Much more bottom end and clarity than the passive function.
    Hope this helps.

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'd tend to agree, although I felt it added some bass to my tone (I almost always had the bass knob all the way down). It still sounded "natural" but a bit different to my ears. The pickups in my jazz were barts, which didn't need the boost. I really liked the midrange control.

Marshall

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I love J Retro preamps, but not everyone does. I would never describe the J Retro as a traditional sound. Even flat it adds a small amount of bass boost. It is an extremely versatile preamp. With the semi-paremetric mid control, low boost, high cut/boost, and the bright switch you get a wide variety of sounds out of your bass. One the biggest features to me is that it independantly buffers each pickup. This eliminates mutual loading effects of running two pickups connected together.

All in all, it is an amazing preamp. I have one in my franken-jazz and the sound is big and bad. I also have another on its way to me to be installed in my 6-string.