J retro!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shatner, Feb 6, 2005.

1. shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    Just installed the Marcus Miller J Retro preamp in my Marcus Fender with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups. Wow!

I've never had so much tonal variation. The bass boost is INSANE and the treble boosts at just the right frequency with no hiss at all. It's possible to get the Marcus Miller slap tone direct into the desk with no help from amps or effects. I've just had a large bout of GAS and bought a sansamp RBI, new QSC power amp etc. but this onboard preamp makes a bigger difference than anything else I've ever bought (I've been testing it direct through into the power amp and a pretty crap Peavey 15)

However, the bass now sounds absolutely nothing like the stock model did when I first bought it. If you're after a vintage jazz tone it's probably not the way to go. The Dimarzio's change the tone A LOT to start with and then the preamp takes it into a different universe.

Just thought I'd share the happy buzz I've got today. I was caught between buying an Aguilar, Bartolini or J retro onboard preamp and I made the right decision.