Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funkdified, Aug 2, 2001.

1. I recently bought a new MIA jazz aqua metalic. I was wondering about the J-retro pre-amp (pro/con) and if i should change the pick-ups if i buy the preamp.
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Steve Dude Barr is one of the j-retro experts in this bunch. Give him a yell, or go to ezboard.com at the Dudepit for a j-retro forum.
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So did I;)

I use one with a 97 Jazz deluxe 5 and think it's an excellent alternative. Very quiet, flexible and intuitive to use.

Haven't heard one with the newer "noiseless" pickups. I heard my first J-Retro in a 5 string A Bass with Lane Poor pickups and it sounded excellent.
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i love that thing! on my opinon there are only pro, and no con. for me in really important that thea have made that switch for passive/active operations too. i love the sound of my jazz when passive!
  6. The one con, $250, thats what I paid for my 150 watt amp!

If I had the $$$, Id get one, especially since it has the passive option too, I would never have an only active bass, just because of the "it might just stop working" issue
  7. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    If you can afford it, the J-Retro is the best onboard pre-amp going as far as I am concerned. I would only suggest a PUP change if you have an MIM bass, on an MIA you should be fine.

If you buy a used one, try to get a later model that has the small circuit board mounted trim pots for adjusting input gain. That way, if you go to a high output PUP you can adjust the gain and not overdrive the pre-amp.