Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-retro

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funkdified, Aug 2, 2001.

1. I recently bought a new MIA jazz aqua metalic. I was wondering about the J-retro pre-amp (pro/con) and if i should change the pick-ups if i buy the preamp.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Steve Dude Barr is one of the j-retro experts in this bunch. Give him a yell, or go to ezboard.com at the Dudepit for a j-retro forum.
    Doc

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So did I;)

I use one with a 97 Jazz deluxe 5 and think it's an excellent alternative. Very quiet, flexible and intuitive to use.

Haven't heard one with the newer "noiseless" pickups. I heard my first J-Retro in a 5 string A Bass with Lane Poor pickups and it sounded excellent.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i love that thing! on my opinon there are only pro, and no con. for me in really important that thea have made that switch for passive/active operations too. i love the sound of my jazz when passive!

6. The one con, $250, thats what I paid for my 150 watt amp!

If I had the $$$, Id get one, especially since it has the passive option too, I would never have an only active bass, just because of the "it might just stop working" issue

7. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    If you can afford it, the J-Retro is the best onboard pre-amp going as far as I am concerned. I would only suggest a PUP change if you have an MIM bass, on an MIA you should be fine.

If you buy a used one, try to get a later model that has the small circuit board mounted trim pots for adjusting input gain. That way, if you go to a high output PUP you can adjust the gain and not overdrive the pre-amp.