Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J shaped P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sharp, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    is there such a thing as a Precision-sounding pup in the shape of a Jazz pup? i have a jazz bass and was thinking of changing the pups so that I have a p-bass type sound out of the neck pup and then a humbucking jazz in the bridge position. in theory that would work and there wouldnt be any hum, right? but does anyone know if something like the P in J pup exists? thanks-
    -Tom

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, think so. I'm thinking either Bartolini or EMG makes a P in a jazz style, possibly Duncan but one of those 3 listed in the order most likely in my recollection. Haven't jacked with any other manufacturers so it's one of those 3 cause I know I didn't bid on a set of pups on ebay when I found that out - I have plenty of PJs. Check their sites.

3. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm also interested in this one!

4. There is more to it than that.

Bill Lawrence spent an hour on the phone educating me about the difference. The P has short, large diameter coils with low flux leakage. The J has tall, skinny coils with high flux leakage. They are two fundamentally different designs.

The hum cancelling feature of the DiMarzio Model J is the same concept used in the split P. IMO, this is very effective and the ideal way to cancel J single coil hum, without losing the single coil tone.

The split P still exists 50 years later, because it is still an outstanding design.

5. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    alright, let's do a little recap:

1) J and P are fundamentally different in design, and therefore one will NEVER fit into the shape of another? even if you changed the shape/flux whatever/ coil diameter to fit into a new shaped housing/cavity ???

2) there are such things as split J pups. these cancel hum, but do they sound like P bass pups?

3) there's the "single coil" sound, which i gather is the trad. J kinda sound. yes? then what is the name for the P pup sound?

4) is there any other pup design that'll fit into a jazz pup routing that will have less of a thin jazz sound and more of a beefy P sound?

5) am I still missing some point?

thanks to anyone with any answers to these questions-
    -Tom

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Haven't tried the split coil jazz but I assume that yeh, I bet they sound like P pups. That was the whole point in making them. And I'm guessing the manufacturer's went to some pains to make them sound as close as they could to their traditional P.

Pick one up off ebay and try it. I don't care what kind of pup it is, you won't know whether you like it or not till you try it with your rig and your music.

7. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
  8. I haven't tried the split J either but it won't sound entirely like a J. As BGavin said, split J and a P are different pups, not just by their outward appearance but more importantly by the shape and style of their windings. I imagine the tone will be somewhat of a mix between the two, tending towards the J sound because of the shape of the windings.

That said I'm sure you'll be able to find an appropriate pup for what you desire, Bartolini's are reputed as having a much warmer (thicker?) sound, so possibly more along the lines of what you're after.

Course you could ask Larry, he'll give you a more definitive answer, probably even in the form of the pickup you want.

Josh D

9. Maybe the <a href=http://www.novaks.org/pickups/index.shtml>Novaks</a> HC-JazzBass is what you're looking for? They certainly look the part.. I've never tried one for myself though.

10. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Doesn't the Sting P-bass have j-type pup?

11. Nah, it has a pre-57 style P-pickup. I don't know in terms of sound or construction, but it's always been called a P-pickup. It wouldn't fit in place of a jazz pickup either.