Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-station Questions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Nov 23, 2001.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i was taking a look at the j-station and i had a question. I am a bread and butter music guy, just stright into the amp, and this is the first time i've thought about midi recording. It says yoiu plug the Midi into the computer. Is there already a midi hookup in my computer or am i missing sumthing. if i need to buy sumthing can you guys give me an idea what i need.

2. You need a midi-to-joystick midi cable. If you look on the sound card, there is a rectangular shaped connector, that is a midi port. So you get a cable that goes from the midi of the j-station to the joystick port. As for recording though, you'll need some sort of software for that. Cubase should do the trick.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i believe jstation comes with some sort of software, but i also have cakewalk pro studio 9 and that new cakewalk program, i forget what its called. Will one of these work?

4. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Dude, If you want to record your bass, then "midi recording" will not help.

Midi is for Drum machines and keyboards. It's really a modern version of the player piano, where the electronics, not a roll of paper with holes punched into it, actually "replays" the instrument.

You mentioned your J-Station, it is a good inexpensive unit that will modify real bass and guitar signals that will need to be pluged in to your recording device with either the 1/4" outs OR the digital SPDIF output.
    Midi on the JStation is good for storage of patch changes and the ability to switch patches with a footcontroller.

If you want a good midi primer check out this link:http://www.cakewalk.com/Tips/Desktop.htm

Happy recording,:)

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    As Kevin said, MIDI in the J-Station is for MIDI control - the J comes with very deep PC desktop control software that is linked via MIDI. A MIDI cable is also needed to upload new firmware to the J after you download it from the web.

Your J-Station output options are 1/4" jack (analog) and SP/DIF (digital).

I love my J-Station, BTW...