1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J style bridge pup problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by champlainbass, Apr 19, 2010.

1. champlainbass

champlainbass

Feb 15, 2010
    Peru, NY
    I have a G&L tribute JB-2. The problem is when I play through the bridge pup, either blended with neck pup or by itself, I get a background "ride cymbal" like sound through the amp. If I play through the neck pup, no background sound. Any thoughts before I start tinkering?

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    have you tried that bass in another amp? different cable? try to narrow it down.
    thats what i do before i start "tinkering".

3. champlainbass

champlainbass

Feb 15, 2010
    Peru, NY
    Tried it through my deluxe reverb-same problem

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Maybe you need foam in the height adjustment springs under that pickup.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yes, this could be the "spring ping" I've read about in some G&L's. Try lowering the pickup slightly to compress the springs. This might help for another reason -- you might be getting some weird overtones from the pickup being too close to the strings.

6. champlainbass

champlainbass

Feb 15, 2010
    Peru, NY
    Well, I removed the pup and the springs. Placed foam where the springs were and viola!-no more ping. Thanks folks:D