J Tenson 5 String vs Squier Jazz BAss

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaasAap2000, Jun 6, 2005.

1. PaasAap2000

Jun 6, 2005
    i have a jay tenson 5 string bass:

but it doesnt give me the sound i want, i want like a 70's soul/funk kool & the gang type a sound, so a colleague reccomended to buy a squier Jazz Bass

but do you guys think it will really make so much diffirence ? will it be worth my money ? is there really such a big diffirence in the sound ? thnx
  2. That's a damn fine lookin' bass you're getting rid of there. But, I personally agree with your colleague when he says a jazz bass will probably get you closer to the tone your after. A lot of great funk was done on the jazz. Bootsy Collins in his Brown years, Larry Graham, heck the list just goes on. Stingray style basses are super cool, but in my opinion, they just have too much roar for 70's style funk. Jazz basses have a little thinner tone, which gives it a smooth, rubbery quality when you dig into it. The difference is substantial enough that I think you should at least investigate it.

But I personally don't think that you'd be too happy with the Squier jazz though. The older generation squiers used to be built with comparable (not as great, but at least similar) alder and poplar wood as their American brethren. Almost all of the new generation (including all the sunburst models I've seen) are all packing Agathis. Some cats on this board might swear by this wood. I don't. The sound is pretty much a dry sterile thump to my ears, and I just don't trust timber from the pine family to withstand the constant pressure of 4 very big strings.

I can almost guarantee that as more people read your post, you're going to get a lot of recommendations for Essex basses. I don't own one, so I can't give you a full report, but from a material and construction standpoint, it'd probably be closer to the tone you're looking for, and as a bonus, it'll be cheaper to buy too.

Like I say, I don't own one.....but come next payday, I will. And that's saying something, because I'm picky as all heck ;)
  3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jay Turser, perhaps?
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    SX Jazz is better than a Mexi Fender Jazz IMO - go with the SX...
  6. PaasAap2000

Jun 6, 2005
    thnx for the info :D but i cant find any essex jazz basses in dutch (internet)stores :S
  7. yes...its jay turser...
    i played my guitar player's sister has that exact same mm copy as is the pic, only her's is purple...i actually really like it. it sounds good, i'd get it over the squier.